Forum home Fruit & veg

Your Perfect Salad

CrankyYankeeCrankyYankee New England, USAPosts: 144
I was just making a garden salad to have with dinner and was disappointed with the quality of the ingredients.  Lately, it seems like most "fresh" fruits and vegetables go bad much more quickly, and there is less of a varied selection at the market.  I started thinking how much I'd love to add something different and maybe unexpected, so does anyone have a salad recipe they might share?  Maybe you use some interesting ingredients?  Or do you like a basic lettuce, tomato, and cucumber dish?

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,045
    I love salads but not basic lettuce, tomato and cucumber, I'd find them boring. I'm sure others will be along with their favourites but one of mine is to make a tomato salad. Layers of ripe tomato, a small crushed garlic clove, sea salt, all drizzled with a little good olive oil and a few torn basil leaves. Sliced mozzarella in the layers is nice too.

My salad has to have a dressing and my favourite is a homemade one of raspberry vinegar, olive oil, wholegrain mustard and maple syrup or honey. I make it up and store in the fridge in a maple syrup bottle. 
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,846
    We find it best to add things like chicory,  artichoke hearts   olives etc. In winter I grow things like mizuna, & mibuna which will literally spice things up a little. (Hotter than wild rocket but not unpleasantly so).  We add homemade sauerkraut,  sweet peppers  and top with a sprinkle of seeds.

AB Still learning

• MikeOxgreenMikeOxgreen PenninesPosts: 606
    It will go bad quickly in Winter, at least here in the UK as it's travelled thousands of miles.
    There are various ways around it, but I have no idea what you have to hand or what your climate is like.
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 2,594
    Hello!

I love a salad and try to eat the fruits of the season.  Tomatoes etc in summer (the winter ones we get here are firm and tasteless).  Now that it's winter there are many options available such as cabbage, red or white.  Carrot and beetroot salad.  (Grated thinly, raw with garlicky vinaigrette)  fennel and lettuce,  celery, endives with blue cheese and walnuts......  

Enjoy the seasonal vegetables. 
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 853
    I love a Greek salad.
    Sunny Dundee
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,874
    Greek salad is one of my faves too - preferably eaten on one of the Greek islands.

One of my faves at any time of year-
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chicken-caesar-salad
    I complicate it by sous-viding the chicken breast with a little thyme and lemon juice. When it's done I wrap it in smoked streaky bacon and quickly fry off then slice it up.
    I make garlicky croutons (from homemade sourdough)

In summer when my tomatoes are properly ripe a simple tomato, sliced mozzarella and basil salad with a good olive oil is hard to beat.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286
    Lambs lettuce aka Corn Salad or Maché is my favourite green salad plant, along with Watercress and small spinach leaves. 

I also often make a slaw-type salad with Florence fennel, celery, celeriac as well as the more usual cabbage, apple, onion, carrot mix. 

I also use all sorts of brassicas for my coleslaw, not just the white drumhead cabbage. Savoy, January King and Hispi types are just as good in a slaw. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,184
    I like a bruschetta type dish in late summer too @Pete.8, when there are loads of toms to use. Get you though - 'sous viding' your chicken  ;)
    I must be very boring though, as I don't like dressings of any kind on salad, and the only extras I add to the usual lettuce/rocket/mizuna etc, are grated carrot, basil and maybe the odd nasturtium flower and chives, all of which I grow in the garden, although not always carrots. 
    I agree with @tui34 re seasonal veg etc too, so this time of year is pretty impossible without heated g'houses etc. No one else in the house would eat a fresh coleslaw type of addition, so I never make that nowadays either, and home made soup is needed more than cold food!
    What grows well in your garden @CrankyYankee ? Do you grow anything just now, or do you always buy? If you grow, perhaps some neighbours might have some ideas as to what will do well for you to try.  :)  
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,874
    Well I do love to cook @Fairygirl and I do love to experiment.
    Sometimes it goes horribly wrong, but c'est la vie!
    My oven has a sous-vide function, so it's only a matter of pressing a different button :)

My fave curry is Madhur Jaffery's Goan Pork Vindaloo.
    I made a double batch yesterday which took the whole day. I make 3x the sauce and freeze that in portions too so I can knock up a prawn vindaloo in 15 mins.
    My house reeks of curry for about 3 days afterwards - lovely :)
    https://www.recipebinder.co.uk/recipes/goan-style-hot-and-sour-pork-pork-vindaloo/
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,184
    Batch cooking at it's finest @Pete.8  :)

I genuinely can't be bothered with food nowadays. I suppose it comes from cooking every day for others for 30/40 years ,especially when some now have allergies etc. It's a chore now rather than a pleasure. If I'm on my own for dinner I often just have toast  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....