Forum home Plants

Advice on pruning for a young Ginkgo tree

Hey everyone, thought i'd come on here and ask for some advice on pruning for my young Ginkgo tree. You all helped me greatly back over the Summer when my Ginkgo leaves were prematurely turning yellow and gave some great advice that ultimately ended up solving the issue.

Next thing i was seeing if i could get some help with is pruning my tree. Everything i read says it's best for Ginkgo trees to have one leading trunk that goes up. On my tree, it looks like i have two. I have attached pictures below. So i was seeing if you all had some advice on which one to maybe prune if any at all. I also attached a picture of the tree leafed out to get an idea of what it looks like with both leaders leafed out. My worry is that i prune something that doesn't need to be pruned. I imagine eventually the two leaders will sort seperate with weight (split maybe) But seeing if this seems normal from you all and if so, which one would you advice taking out if any at all?

As always, thank you for your help!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    It looks fine to me but I would remove branches growing inwards as this will improve air circulation in th etree and reduce the risk of branches crossing and rubbing on other wood, leading to damage and possible infection.

I've marked the two most likely but check for more from all angles.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thank you!
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,852
    I'd choose the straightest and strongest and remove the other 2 completely. don't leave any stub ends. those close together branches will eventually touch, rub and when close together water collects and rot can set in. Also, very upright forking like that is a weak spot