Forum home Wildlife gardening

ID small Sea fish …

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,251
edited 20 January in Wildlife gardening
I bought some Cornish ‘sardines’ today (what used to be called pilchards before their re-branding) and saw that one of them doesn’t look like the rest of them. 
It’s more of a bronze/gold colour than silver, and has a coarse skin feeling more like a plaice skin rather than scales like a sardine/herring etc. 

It’s the one nearest the camera. 

I’m wondering if it’s a variety of white
fish rather than an oily fish. I’ll know more after supper 😉  … anyone got any ideas?
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 2,581
    edited 20 January
    Gurnard?  Sprat?
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• Could be a baby herring but I think it might be a smelt.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,251
    It does look similar to the smelt in the last photo on this site 

https://britishseafishing.co.uk/smelt/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I think baby herring look pretty much like sardines … and it’s bigger than sprats … and the wrong body shape for gurnard. 🤔 

edited 20 January
    When cooked the flesh looked, tasted and was the texture of a ‘white fish’ rather than an oily fish, and the bones were ‘different’ to a sardine or herring’s bones. 
    I think it probably is/was a smelt … unless anyone has any other suggestions? 
    😊 

That does look very similar @Eustace 👍 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,876
    It's a smelt. I used to catch loads of them when I was younger. When I'm back on the PC I'll find a photo.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • scrogginscroggin KentPosts: 203
    It does look like a smelt, one way of telling is that they smell of cucumber, the flesh is quite firm. 
    Yes the flesh was firm … it didn’t really ‘flake’.