Forum home Plants

Help identifying these plants!

sophie.hsophie.h Posts: 13
edited 19 January in Plants
This is my first foray into gardening, so please excuse me for being a bit dim! I've moved into a rented house with some outdoor space, and the previous tenants left a couple of pots. I think the plants are a strawberry and some kind of lavender? I'm hoping someone can identify them, tell me whether they're salvageable, and possibly give me some care tips. 

Thanks!

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,089
    edited 19 January
    Top looks like lavender or maybe rosemary. If it's the prostrate rosemary, it's not very hardy. The other one is probably strawberry but but it could be potentilla
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,907
    Does look like lavender and strawberry
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,457
    The lavender looks a bit sad. Hasn't been pruned regularly so it has long bare stems. I would throw it out and get a new one in the spring, they aren't expensive. Or choose something you like.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,872
    Hi @sophie.h and welcome!   :)

I'd agree with - top - nearly dead lavender, and - bottom - not bad-looking strawberries.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • sophie.hsophie.h Posts: 13
    Thanks, everyone! 😊 I shall do away with the deceased lavender.
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,376
    Start afresh.  Clean pots, fresh compost (pref. John Innes No3).  Grow what you like, and know how to care.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,198
    The strawbs will be fine with some fresh soil/compost and some food in a month or two @sophie.h .   :)
    They'll produce runners if they're healthy/viable, which you can pot up for new plants. Strawbs lose their vigour after a few years, so that means you can keep a good crop going. It's always harder when they're potted, but they can certainly be grown in them.
    It's probably worth taking them out and separating them, then putting a couple in a separate pot. They're probably quite congested, and it's too many for the size of the container. 
    I'd agree with the earlier comments re the lavender. Possibly not worth persevering with that, but nothing to lose if you want to give it some tlc. Good drainage needed for them in pots or the ground.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• sophie.hsophie.h Posts: 13
    Excellent, thanks so much for the advice. Looking forward to getting stuck in once it's warmed up a bit! 🥶