Forum home Fruit & veg

Leeks

John236John236 East Sussex CoastPosts: 10
Due to the drought last summer my leeks were very much below par, so much so that even now they are only about 1/2” thick.
I wonder, has anyone ever tried leaving them in for a second year?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,142
    They’re biennial .., they’ll bolt … producing a flower and seed. . 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• John236John236 East Sussex CoastPosts: 10
    I did wonder if that would be the case!
    edited 19 January
    Yes. Better use them now. Soup? 😋 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Yes, we have already earmarked them for leek & potato!
    My OH has leek and potato soup in his lunch flask this week. Next week it’ll be one of the winter squashes with a bit of cumin and chilli.  We love homemade soup. 🥣 

Us too, our freezer in the garage is stacked with pots of soup. Our favourites are tomato and basil, squash and ginger, leek and potato and asparagus. A lunchtime staple and mostly from the garden.
    OOH yes, squash and ginger … sometimes with some coconut milk 😋 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972
    Roast root veg, including sweet potato, and things like squash or pumpkin, seasoned with salt, pepper and Chinese five spice is my favourite winter soup.  :)

I rarely make leek and potato, but this thread is making think I might  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,241
    Our drought wasn't as severe as yours (we have a son in Mid Sussex) but we managed to reduce the effects by routinely taking any washing up etc. water out and throwing it on to the garden.  Most of our leeks remained edible.  Just an idea for repeat years?
    Yes Nick, we do that too. Unfortunately there was only so much water to go round and the leeks lost out!
    I forgot to mention that my very favourite soup to make is courgette and dolcellate cheese. A good use of over abundant produce!