Forum home Plants

Geranium Bill Wallis

Geranium Bill Wallis
i have only this month discovered that my pretty little plant has decided to take over a small lawn.
I will need to kill it off and re turf it.  Had plant about three years and has never seeded like this before.   
Cannot bring myself to kill main plants but will put up a better barrier between them and lawn areas.  
Think plants could be labelled better concerning how easily it seeds itself. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,038
    Growing conditions and climate dictate how well, or badly, any plant self seeds though.
    It really isn't possible to have every bit of info or warnings on a small plant label.  :)

I'm not sure any physical barrier would work unless you never have any wind.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,084
    edited 19 January
    @daphneclark In my experience G Bill Wallis does seed everywhere infact more than any other hardy geranium that I know. I have heard that some gardeners love it, perhaps it doesn't do so well in different soils.
     It does have a long tap root so that is why you may be having problems. I wonder if you could get it out with a narrow trowel or something similiar. If I had a  small lawn I might be thinking no more mowing and instead a new border with lots of Bill Wallis, plus friends. Plants as with weeds are more likely to seed into a lawn that is poor growing or cut back hard. Lawns did suffer last year due to drought.

Some gardeners may be pleased to have lots of extra plants. Labels are only a guide plants that are not hardy are also sold with no warning.  It is up to the gardener to check.

I have various plants in my garden that seed around too much but I wouldn't be without them, they can also be a positive, filling an empty gap and saving money. 
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.