Forum home Problem solving

Invasive species identification

Hello all

I wonder if I could trouble you to help me identify what species of plant this is which is growing through the skirting board in my living room. 

It has been examined by a knotweed expert and ruled out as such so I know it's not that. But what could it be I wonder?  Please forgive the pics - we are renovating.

Thanks
Craig

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,005
    Might be bindweed. What's outside near the wall?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Thanks for your reply B3 but there isn't any bindweed in the garden (lucky me!) and there are no obvious plants that look like this on the outside of this wall. Also bindweed tends to be quite supple and reddish but this thing definitely isn't supple. 
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,028
    @craighoad I think you need to see what is going on ouside .#Due to lack of light what ever it is looks forced and therefore difficult to ID. Some photos from other side of wall would be helpful .
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,457
    It looks like Ivy. I had some creep into the garage. Inside its fairly dark and they got very long with small leaves like that.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,390
    Agree with @GardenerSuze - you need to check what's growing outside but remember that the difference in temps inside and out could mean that your "invader" isn't yet visible outside.  
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,028
    edited 19 January
    @craighoad Ivy is more than capable of doing just that. Even a very small ivy leaf will have the leaf shape to help you ID. Another plant that I have also seen do the same in a garage was honeysuckle. I think it is very important to get a correct ID.
    Someone posted a photo of Romneya Coulteri coming in through the skirting boards last year. I don't think it that likely as it is not commonly grown but thought I would mention it.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,005
    We've got ivy inside our garage too. I was wondering if it could be that. I suppose vinca might have a go too
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,086
    I remember a rose coming through the wall of an old house in that way … also a Kerria japonica. 

We need to see what’s the other side of the wall …
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

@Dovefromabove Kerria sound possisble too. 
  • Looks very similar to vinca commonly called periwinkle.