Forum home Problem solving

Should I buy a house with Japanese knotweed

Hi, 
I have recently viewed a property which has Japanese knotweed in two different areas,one very close to the property (one shoot)  the seller has informed me that they have a 10 plan in place, is it worth the risk or should I avoid?
all thoughts and experiences appreciated.

• Simone_in_WiltshireSimone_in_Wiltshire WiltshirePosts: 538
    @louisebushrodLgvgjmMz No! You will not be able to sell it again and no mortgage lender will look at your request in case you rely on a mortgage. 
    When I bought our flat, I was asked by the mortgage lawyer if the garden had JKW and learned that if the garden had it, it’s not possible to sell it again here in the UK. 

I my garden.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,544
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,457
    I wouldn't go anywhere near it. You are unlikely to get a mortgage in any case on it.
  • rowlandscastle444rowlandscastle444 KentPosts: 150
    . . . and you would probably struggle to sell it in the future.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,005
    Ageed. Walk away. There's a better home out there waiting for you 😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • I feel so sorry for the current owner. But you have no need to make this your problem.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,360
    Don't touch it! You'll find somewhere you like better, keep looking.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,907
    I agree with @wild edges. It can be controlled, but you'd have to be sure all the proper procedures were in place, and you were happy with them.
    If it's in a neighbouring property, that's the biggest problem. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,086
    Also, if there's a contract or insurance plan to eradicate it, do make sure that it's with a reputable company ... I've heard of folk being left with worthless contracts to deal with their JKW because the company they have the contract with has gone into liquidation, quite often starting up under another name.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh