Forum home Fruit & veg

Mushroom logs - mushrooms frozen, is the harvest a goner?

Have to be honest, I haven't been in my garden for a good few weeks but today I came to find one of my mushrooms logs have FINALLY fruited (purchased 2021, it was quite a wait!). Unfortunately it seems the frost got to it before I could. Any chance the mushrooms will continue it's growth once it warms up or are they unsalvageable at this point?

Also...this should be an oyster mushroom log. Having eaten and grown oyster mushrooms with window kits, they're not as plump as I'm used to. Very flat and thin. Not sure if the frost has affected it or if the log's been colonised by another fungi. Any advice or insight?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,228
    It’s another species. Maybe something like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trametes_versicolor

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • pansyface said:
    It’s another species. Maybe something like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trametes_versicolor

Oh dear, I guess the log is a goner then 🙈

Thank you for your response!
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,619
    Yes that is Turkey Tail, Trametes versicolor.
  • Simone_in_WiltshireSimone_in_Wiltshire WiltshirePosts: 557
    @SoultoSqueeze We got the same mushroom stems, also bought in 2021 and had this year the first Shiitake and your first one in the picture. I don't touch them this autumn/winter but let them establish and will think about the harvest next autumn.

I my garden.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,293
    So they're not vegan then!
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,041
    Flippin nora I never knew that. The wonders of nature. 

I'd heard that turkey tail fungi is said to have some health benefits but they they aren't edible by normal fungi standards. I've chewed them, they are tough and after a while spat it out. I wondered if a tea can be made of them and it can, here's some interesting info about them. 
    https://www.realmushrooms.com/turkey-tail-mushroom-benefits/
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,869
    Other fungi have similar tactics.
    They form a tiny loop in their hyphae.
    When a nematode travels through the loop it snaps shut thereby trapping the worm then as it rots ingests it..
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • @SoultoSqueeze We got the same mushroom stems, also bought in 2021 and had this year the first Shiitake and your first one in the picture. I don't touch them this autumn/winter but let them establish and will think about the harvest next autumn.
    Good luck!! Hopefully we both get a good harvest next autumn 🤞
  • Pete.8 said:
    Oyster mushrooms and their murderous ways..

The hyphae (like the roots of a plant) of Oyster mushroom are covered in small lollipop structures that contain a fatal gas.
    When a nematode worm bumps into one of the lollipops it bursts and releases the gas (called 3-octanone) which paralyses and kills the worm - the mushroom then ingests the worm.

Who'd have thought
    Learn something new everyday!
    Hopefully it stops at just the worms though 😬