Forum home Plants

Rose pruning

LynfromSeaLynfromSea Posts: 106
I keep reading conflicting advice about rose pruning so I’m now hoping I haven’t done the wrong thing. In my courtyard garden I have a beautiful Prunus (The Bride) It’s grafted so won’t get too big. Underneath I planted 5 Roses (Desdemona) where I’ve had a fabulous display for a good couple of years but last year they grew too tall. So now I’ve pruned them right down to the ground as I read that roses will tolerate that but then I read to only take a third to a half cut. Which is right?

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,109
    I have that rose and I reduce by half, but with this type of rose there is no right or wrong, it's just preference.  What you've done won't hurt, you'll just have a shorter plant by midsummer.   Sometimes they need a good cutting down anyway, it rejuvenates them and produces some good basals. 

It will soon grow back !.. 
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,316
    edited 18 January
    It's a while since I was last in Aberdeen.  The last time I went, the council had an economical and effective way of pruning the large numbers of bush roses in their many central reservations.  They went through them in the winter with a chain saw, about 30cm from the ground.  The results were every bit as good as following complicated rules.

Often a hard prune will lead to fewer taller shoots.  A less vigorous prune will lead to more shoots, but shorter.  Approximately the same weight of regrowth.

But on a general point:  advice is always conflicting, at some stage you have to make decisions and build your own knowledge base.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • LynfromSeaLynfromSea Posts: 106
    Thank you for that. It was very reassuring. I didn’t want the taller shoots running through the tree so hopefully I’ll get more of a spread than height.
  • LynfromSeaLynfromSea Posts: 106
    Marlorena said:
    I have that rose and I reduce by half, but with this type of rose there is no right or wrong, it's just preference.  What you've done won't hurt, you'll just have a shorter plant by midsummer.   Sometimes they need a good cutting down anyway, it rejuvenates them and produces some good basals. 

It will soon grow back !.. 
    Thank you so much for your
    encouragement. I don’t think I cut it back hard enough last year as some of the beaches grew too tall. It’s a fantastic rose though isn’t it? It bloomed all summer and well into the autumn too.