Forum home Problem solving

Greenhouse circulation

dbhattukdbhattuk London Posts: 63
Yet again need some advice. I just bought a mini greenhouse. Mainly to store pots, and keep young plants in the spring. I don’t have electrical power there. I did place a few plants to over winter, but noticed grey fungus, I assume Botrytis. Sadly I made a mistake, should have got one with vents. I can do some DIY and add vents. In terms of air circulation, I was thinking of solar powered fan, but I don’t get much sunlight there, so could be waste of time. I can keep the door open when I am in the garden but not all the time, several days could pass before I am in the garden. Other issue being, I have ninja squirrels, have a family of them, using the garden as a 5 star resort. They will love rummaging in the greenhouse I am sure, they will be expecting room service next :) . I may have to get some electrical power to solve the issue. Any thoughts would be welcomed.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,160
    The main problem with the plastic ones is exactly what you've described ,and they get roasting hot even on sunny spring or autumn days.
    It does depend on what small plants you have, but these growhouses are really only good for keeping the worst of the winter weather [ie rain/snow/hail] off. They don't offer the same frost protection as a normal g'house either, so they aren't much use for anything less than pretty hardy. 
    You can roll the door up to keep the ventilation, but if you're able to make some little vents higher up, that would probably be better.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• dbhattukdbhattuk London Posts: 63
    @Fairygirl, thanks for the note. Yes I should have added, it’s only a temp measure. I am getting quotes to build a base for a normal greenhouse, but may take awhile due to budget constraints. As you know I am also working on my plot, so lots happening. Yes I will certainly add some vents. 
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,754
    It might be worth securing your mini greenhouse to the fence at the back.  I put bricks at the base on one I had for a short while like you have done but it kept blowing away!
    It's fine for basic stuff @dbhattuk, but they're a bit short term. Hope you get your proper g'house going, but I know what you mean about budget   :)
    The only other thing I'd say is - anchor it well . They have a tendency to fly away in windy weather! Mine were tied onto vine eyes in the wall - a bit of rope round the top of the shell, and fastened in tight. I found out the hard way.  :|
    It can also happen if there's a rip in the material - wind gets in and off it goes....
    I gave up and got a little polycarbonate one, which is a bit better, but still not as good as a proper glasshouse.   I don't really have a suitable site that's big enough in this garden. I mainly use it for tomatoes.

@Plantminded, @Fairygirl, thanks, you may note on the pic there are two fence posts at the back. It’s securely tied up to them and weighted down at bottom on the inside. We had some really stormy weather a little back, it stayed firm. That area is a wind funnel anyway, the gap between two semi detached houses. So far so good, it has not moved, fingers crossed. 
    Ah - we were posting at the same time, me and @Plantminded :)

That's great if it's well tied in. It's a shame if they get a bit wayward just at the wrong moment   ;)

• bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,374
    edited 18 January
    I don't think that your main question, ventilation, has been answered.  

On my 12x8 ft glass greenhouse, I leave one roof vent open all winter and keep the door open all day (except today, it's too cold to go out).  Humiidity can soon build up, especially if the sun comes out.  A 6 inch crack is better than nothing.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
    It's a plastic greenhouse, so it's totally different from glass, and yes - it has been answered. Yesterday.

I plan to do some DIY, and put some vents in. Will also try and keep the door open to aid air circulation, hoping ninja squirrels don't get in. At the moment there are no plants in the greenhouse, so not a issue. 
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,374
    edited 18 January
    An air gun is one answer to tree rats.  Rat/squirrel traps are available and work well, but you still have to kill the b.......s.  The law, as well as ones own squeamishness, enter the equation.  Release into the community is not allowed.

"Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."