Forum home Problem solving

White worms in compost

Hi. Any idea what worms I have in my compost bin? White, not much thicker than a piece of cotton. Tried posting photo but won’t upload. Thanks

• bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,366
    A photo is important.  Keep trying.  Be prepared to wait a bit.  

I didn't succeed at first, but now I don't remember what I was doing wrong.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,263
    edited 17 January
    Try reducing the size of the photo … that usually works. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,147
    If you can keep your pix at around 1MB or less, that usually works well @satrdayboy :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• YnneadYnnead LondonPosts: 217
    Could be enchytraeids which like acidic conditions.

• CatDouchCatDouch South Devon Posts: 172
    Like @Ynnead says, it sounds like pot worms (enchytraeids).  I had them in my wormery.  From my experience it’s best to get on top of them as soon as possible as it shows your wormery is too wet or acidic.  My wormery worked really well for a couple of years and produced lovely compost but I started seeing tiny thread like white worms.  I would then add lots of shredded cardboard or newspaper and it worked for a while but then I had an explosion of them and they took over and I started seeing less and less of the red worms.  In the end it got to be a bit of a soggy mess so I abandoned the process!  Hope you get rid of them 🤞
  • Thanks for the reply. It’s in a dalek so don’t think it’s too wet. Will brown matter help?
  • YnneadYnnead LondonPosts: 217
    should help but you can add lime or crushed egg shells to counter the acidity.
  • Thanks. Will add more eggshells as I don’t have access to any lime. Turned it over yesterday and there quite a few garden worms in there.