Forum home Problem solving

Shed restoration

Hello, we are wanting to restore the roof of the summer house/shed in our garden. Does anybody have any advice on how we do this? I’m not sure what type of material the roof currently is made from! Thankyou. Natalie 

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,821
    That looks like felt, with a mineral coating on it. Various grades are available in any of the big DIY  chains or builders merchants.  To do the best job you should remove the old felt, first. 
    AB Still learning

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932

Hi @njcarrington - I've turned it for you - I assumed the grey bit was the roof  ;)
    Most sheds are done with roofing felt, which you can get from DIY stores etc. It's fairly easy to use, depending on the size of the roof, and what help you have to do it. You then need to re do the battens at the bottom to hold it in place.
    You can then coat it with roof seal in future years to help with waterproofing.

I find it doesn't last terribly well, but it does depend on the quality, and how wet your area is. Rain can find it's way in, no matter how well you waterproof sheds. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,271
    I trust you've heard of "google and "youtube".  
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
    bédé said:
    I trust you've heard of "google and "youtube".  
    Or you could offer advice to a new poster..... :)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    @bédé … as has been pointed out before, the stated aim of this forum is for folk to ask questions and for kind and helpful folk to reply with answers/suggestions/solutions. 

It’s not meant to be an opportunity for unkind snarky comments from folk who don’t wish to be helpful. 

@njcarrington 😊 welcome to the forum. 😊

I’m sorry that you’ve had to put up with unpleasantness in response to your first query. I hope it won’t put you off asking questions … most folk here are kind and happy to help … we can only guess as to the circumstances of someone who prefers to be unpleasant to a perfect stranger. 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,271
    A simple, direct  answer is usually the best.  Do you think I was wrong with my advice?  New posters need to be set on the right path.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    Telling a new poster to seek an answer elsewhere is a passive/aggressive way of telling someone to F.O. @bédé … and downright rude. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

A new poster is asking for help on a gardening forum about fixing a shed - something many of us have done.
    Google and Youtube aren't always useful, as most of us know   :)

• herbaceousherbaceous OxfordshirePosts: 2,310
    Not wishing to get caught in the crossfire but I would have thought the OP was intelligent enough to have explored a variety of search engines and videos (some useful, some not so much) and, again intelligently, was looking for some personal experiences from forum members. 

Always best to explore all possibilities before spending the time, effort and money
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • Thankyou for you suggestions/advice everyone 🙂