Forum home Plants

Things you don't grow but would if you had the space

Is there something you like but you don't grow because you don't think you can spare the space in your garden? If you see a plant mentioned and you wish to change people's minds as to why they should, please add your experience.

I'll go first and say that I've always liked bearded iris for their amazing coloured flowers but as it seems such a short display and they need such a valuable position in the garden, I've not grown them. I think I'm probably missing out but would rather keep that sunny spot for a long flowering salvia or similar.   

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,463
    I have space. What I don't have is the climate to be able to grow all the exotics I  love. Instead they go in a frost free greenhouse for winter, but I will never have a flowering jacaranda or an orchard of citrus trees.  They say travel broadens the mind, it just induces plant envy in me.
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,326
    I'll go first and say that I've always liked bearded iris for their amazing coloured flowers but as it seems such a short display and they need such a valuable position in the garden   
    In Loseley House walled garden there is a deep mauve Wisteria on south-facing wall.  In the narrow space below there are deeper mauve bearded irises.  They flowewr together.  Takes up no space.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,031
    Fabulous trees @Obelixx
    In our old garden before we moved to this cottage I had a 25ft polytunnel and grew white and black grapes, a nectarine and a peach tree. All delicious. I miss the tunnel very much and would love another but no space in this small garden. 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,204
    edited 17 January
    An amazing maze. 🙂 I could go and sit in it for hours and nobody could find me. 😊 And in this weather I could play out the final scenes of The Shining. 😜
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • puschkiniapuschkinia BrightonPosts: 200
    I have so many: 
    A Luma apiculata
    A multistem birch
    A grape vine over a pergola
    An amelanchier
    An olive tree
    A weeping willow 
    An oak tree

... you get the idea :lol:

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,538
    With enough drainage, Bearded irises can be grown successfully in pots sunk into the ground thevictorian. Once they’re over, easily lifted and relegated to a corner somewhere to make way for something else. 

Mine would be trees for autumn colour. Space is not my issue either @fidgetbones but it’s mostly terraces that have been stripped of all topsoil in the making, leaving a thin, rocky layer of impenetrable clay subsoil lacking sufficient depth for planting trees. Pretty much everything else has to be grown in raised beds.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,043
    I was going to say a cedar too
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,563
    Oh I nice big spreading cedar - with a bench underneath, that would be fab.
    Failing that - an orchard. With chickens. And time and energy to tend to it and them.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,043
    I'm quite partial to an avenue of massive London Planes too.  Perhaps the avenue could lead to the cedar and a lake with those plants that look like giant rhubarbs
    In London. Keen but lazy.