Forum home Plants

Bamboo growth from canes?

If you cut canes from a bamboo plant and then immediately use them as suport canes for other plants, is there any chance that the canes will grow? I don't want to accidentally spread the bamboo...

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,443
    The canes won't regrow without roots. The usual method is to cut the canes, leave them to dry and harden for a while and then they can be used as supports.  
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,907
    We use bamboo canes from the garden as supports and none have produced roots not like the cut willows!
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,755
    When you cut the canes, it's best to do this at ground level to keep your plant looking its best - canes cut on the growing plant don't regrow either and look untidy if left at any other height.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286
    I don’t think they’ll grow … but if you like the belt and braces approach, for the first season you could put them in the soil upside down. 
    That even works for willow withies 😆 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,443
    @Dovefromabove You don't even have to worry about belt and braces - if the canes are cut correctly , no worries ;)
    Bamboos are becoming the new "scary" plant - a bit of nous and they are useful and attractive plants,
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286
    Yes I know @philippasmith2 😊   … but it sometimes helps to deal with anxiety … those nights around 2:22am when you brain loses any pretence of rationality and you dream about the bamboo encroaching into the house and matching up the stairs 😱
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks all. I just wanted to check :)