Forum home Fruit & veg

Is this a citrus?

NormandyLizNormandyLiz Seine Maritime, FrancePosts: 70
Last spring we rescued a little tree that had been left for dead and dumped by the side of the road. There was some green lurking so we brought it home for some tlc. This was after a couple of weeks

A very sad little tree  :(

We have been working on the assumption that it's some sort of citrus and have treated it as such. It is now a much happier bunny, although it would prefer some warm sunshine to our cold house with limited natural light

Is it indeed a citrus, if so is there any way of telling from this what sort, and if it's not then what might it be?

(Excuse the dog bowl...)

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,854
    Looking great now! You've done a very good job.
    If you crush a leaf and have a sniff and there's a strong citrusy aroma, then indeed it is a citrus.
    I does look like one.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • NormandyLizNormandyLiz Seine Maritime, FrancePosts: 70
    Thanks @Pete.8. One leaf crushed, there's a faint odour of something but not citrus. 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294
    First picture I thought yes, second one no, but if it doesn't smell citrusy. Is the dog ok with the use of his bowl☺️my second thought is laurel
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,854
    I've not had any citrus for years, but I do recall most of them had thorns here and there on the branches.
    I think the leaves on my citrus were quite glossy and thick too with a delicious sweet, strong citrusy aroma.
    I think we'll have to have a think!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    No, no thorns, but thanks for saying as I'd no idea citrus had thorns! I don't think it's a laurel, the leaves are not particularly thick and don't have that lauren shine.  Maybe we'll have to wait and see if there is any sign of flowers this year. 

(don't worry, the dogs aren't deprived. A left over from a dog of the past, now repurposed)
    laurel, not lauren!