Forum home Plants

Searching for Fifi

Hi, I’m desperately trying to find a rose named Fifi. Sadly we had our beloved cat put to sleep this week and I’d really love to find this rose to plant in her memory. I have messaged several rose suppliers in the uk, they have been very kind and helpful but unfortunately have been unable to trace the rose. Before I throw in the trowel, excuse the pun, I thought I’d ask you lovely lot if anyone knows the whereabouts of the beautiful Fifi rose? Thanks in advance. X 

• Wild_VioletWild_Violet ScotlandPosts: 137
    I can’t help about the rose but was sorry to hear about your little cat. 
    Not quite in the same league as a named rose, but catmint is a pretty perennial that is said to be loved by cats and is easily available. Xx
  • Thank you for your kindness. X 
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,018
    I see it's listed by Defra as being "absent" in the UK.
    Not quite the same, but there are several roses with "Memories" or "Memory" in the name.
    Of course, a link with the musical "Cats".
    Perhaps one of those may be suitable to remember Fifi  :)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,270
    @AnniD  😊 I think the reference by Defra to ‘absent in the UK’ refers to the Rosette Virus and various insects that spread disease … not the rose itself. 😊 
    https://www.shootgardening.co.uk/plant/rosa-fifi
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,369
    I found this on google:

Light pink Shrub.
    Registration name: DELvirge
    Exhibition name: My Fifi
    Bred by G. Delbard (France, 1998). 
    Introduced in United States by Certified Roses as 'My Fifi'.

This might help.  But often HT and Floribunda roses have a short life and are discontinued for commercial reasons.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 4,050
    I found the links above, and also a rhododendron and a fuchsia called Fifi, but for none of the three could I unearth a UK supplier.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,018
    D'oh @Dovefromabove 🙄. Not enough tea, obviously ! 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,270
    🤣 @AnniD … coffee works for me 😎 ☕️ 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,535
    We planted a DA rose called 'Little White Pet' in memory of our much loved black and white cat.

It's a small floribunda rose with white flowers. 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,551
    I had a search around some of the usual European rose suppliers that will despatch to England but couldn’t find either ‘Fifi’ bred by Henson nor the Delbard rose ‘My Fifi’ - which was sold in Europe as Vierge Folle - so I suspect both are now out of commerce, superseded by newer varieties as Bédé has indicated.

If you have space for a climber there is this Fifi:
    https://www.roses-andre-eve.com/rosiers-lianes-a-petites-fleurs-collection/2487-fifi-sur-la-voliere.html

I think they may send to the UK, but often you have to try ordering it to find out, or call them.