Forum home Fruit & veg

Pickled Radish

MickgallMickgall Teynham, KentPosts: 19
Hello all
I wasn't sure where to post this - I couldn't find a recipe section (should probably look in BBC good food forum) but does anyone have any ideas on how to pickle Radish. Sliced or whole. White vinegar or malt. Do they need water drawn out with pure salt or in a brine. How About sugar or honey.
Many Thank
Mick

• bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,895
    @Mickgall I do a lot of pickles using what we grow in the garden. I make up "recipes" because of what I have. So radish...cut them into slices that you want, add onion (already sliced) and then add anything else you have from your garden or store cupboard. If you just want the radish on their own then you will have to cut/slice them and put them into jars and into the oven at low temp and then add vinegar when cooled down.Sounds a waste of time and energy but I feel that it is always worth ago to keep your produce for later in the year.
  • @Ante1 had a bit about bombarding his neighbours with pickled radishes due to the sheer quantity he grew. It's under My Small Piece of Heaven. 
    Southampton 
  • Ante1Ante1 Senj, CroatiaPosts: 2,563
    Good morning @Mickgall and @Mrs-B3-Southampton,-Hants.

@Mrs-B3-Southampton,-Hants, what a memory. It seems that I didn't learn my lesson with radishes, according last seed delivery. 😂

@Mickgall, I use simple recipe where measurement is a cup. 
    You need: 1/2 cup of white or apple vinegar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup water, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon mustard seeds, 1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns, bay leave and dry chili (it's optional).

First sterilize jars and lids in the oven (10 minutes on 150  ℃). Give radishes a good scrub, slice them and put in the jars. Now add one bay leave in each jar. In one pot boil water and vinegar, add sugar, salt, mustard seeds and peppercorn. Wait till sugar melt and pour in the jars with radishes. Close jars and leave then to cool down. Radishes prepare like that can hold up to four months, and when you open a jar, keep it in the fridge. 
  • MickgallMickgall Teynham, KentPosts: 19
    Great, thanks all for the replies

Mick
  • war  garden 572war garden 572 maryland usaPosts: 191
    what type pickles jarred or refrigerator?
  • MickgallMickgall Teynham, KentPosts: 19
    Hello war garden, in a jar.
    mick
  • Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 849
    I don't pickle them on their own, but i like them added to a jar of Kimchi. A nice bit of crunch in the mix.
    Sunny Dundee