Forum home Fruit & veg

Calamondin orange tree - is it still alive? 🥺

The tree was looking super healthy until we had snow in December. Before the temperature dipped below zero and the frost settled, I covered the tree to protect it. Once the bad weather passed, I unwrapped it and found that the leaves were soaking wet. Since then the leaves have started to fall off, and now they are completely bare. Do you think the tree is dead, and is there anything I can do to revive it? I have attached a picture of when it was in full bloom as well as what it looks like now. 

• Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 744
    I don't  really know anything about these, but it's got too cold & wet. You could snip a twig off low down and if it's green inside, it's alive. Blob a bit of honey or neem leaf powder over the cut end. 
    Lift it and check the roots are healthy too. 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,176
    Sorry, it’s buggered.

Here’s mine in the conservatory tonight

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,457
    I doubt they will be alive. Citrus trees do not like being frozen at all.
  • pansyface said:
    Sorry, it’s buggered.

Here’s mine in the conservatory tonight

Oh no, I thought as much! Sad times! Thank you for sharing the information with me. I will keep this in mind when I buy some new ones in the spring. I am a beginner when it comes to gardening, and I am really learning the hard way with everything I have brought so far. The extreme heat we had in London over the summer killed off half my garden, and now the frost has had the other half.
    Welcome to the world of gardening. 😊
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,092
    Tell us about your garden … where it is and the soil/conditions/aspect etc … and the sort of garden you’d like to achieve. Then we can advise about types of plants that are more likely to be happy there … it’ll  make your life much less stressful 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294
    Calamondins are very tender,I'm afraid. Ours go into a conservatory,along with the mandarin. Lemon and grapefruit go into a cold green house (bubble wrapped completely, extra layer over them on frosty nights,and a little electric tubular GH heater in that section) Below 12c, the citrus loose their leaves,as in the Beast from the East, but they grew back in spring. Scrape a bit of lower bark,If it's green,you might be lucky,can you put it somewhere sheltered,porch, similar. Don't make the mistake of treating it (or subsequent ones as a houseplant, they loath central heating. As Dove says, give us some more information so we can help you. Pansy..... buggered,yes, that's a VERY technical term used by us gardeners!
    It has gawn to a better place…..😊
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,390
    In some parts of the SW UK, you can leave Citrus in a sheltered spot outside BUT when you need to protect them, make a box structure - fleece and then something like an old shower curtain tied over the whole plant will at least avoid that deadly combination of cold and wet..