Forum home Garden design

What to use to divide garden

I'm after some advise on what i could use to divide the garden. Can either be evergreen plants or something else. Ideally would like to get it to 5/6ft. The garden is south facing.

The red line below is where i'd like to divide the garden.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

• Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 777
    Trellis fence or a pergola with something scented growing up it? Jasmine, passion flower or honeysuckle would work, (don't ask me about clematis, lol!!) they could also intertwine with the hedge, and would smell gorgeous even from a distance. Evergreen or winter flowering varieties would be ideal, or a mix of summer and winter. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,954
    A simple screen with climbers is definitely the easiest way.
    Don't just stick plants in though- a proper, well prepped border will pay dividends and will ensure the plants thrive. 
    Where you're located will also determine what would work. What thrives in the south of England won't necessarily stay alive in the NW of Scotland, or at altitude in many areas  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,551
    Before giving any decent advice we need to know about your general location and soil type as these will affect both climate - rain, temperature range - and soil type - clay, sandy, loamy, acidic, neutral, alkaline - as those will affect fertility and drainage and the kinds of plant that will thrive.

The easiest and quickest solution is trellis panels or wires tensioned on posts to support climbers but a small tree and/or some shrubs would work well too depending on how much patience you have while they grow and then for subsequent training and pruning.  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,890
    A trellis with Clematis armandii. Everygreen, flowering in the winter early spring and fragrant. Yes it will take some time to get to the height you want but worth the wait.
    Ours is growing in heavy clay and continues to flower more every year.
  • robairdmacraignilrobairdmacraignil CorkPosts: 669
    Besides a trellis and climbers another option is just having a row of plants you keep trimmed as a hedge to the height and width that you want. Lots of options but one I particularly like is Cotoneaster franchetii.

Happy gardening!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,954
    Similar to @robairdmacraignil 's suggestion - a simple hedge of beech or hornbeam will also do the job and they can be kept tight and narrow. I'd go with a screen though and a climber that will tolerate the [probably] drier conditions. Lots of clematis will suit.
    The existing hedge will also affect the area though, and it could be very dry. I think you'd need to address the existing border along that left side too. It doesn't look terribly inviting for plants. The hedge will be a major factor there. Lots of organic matter needed   :)  
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294
    Plantminded,that's truly gorgeous. Ours isn't particularly narrow, but hubby has made it into "rooms", with arches. Honeysuckle don't like south facing gardens, they're woodland plants. What about trellis and tall grasses, they like south facing, hot dry conditions.
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,733
    Thank you @Nanny Beach, that's very kind of you. Rooms are definitely the way to go!  I've used tall columnar grasses to create informal hedges in my current garden, such as Calamagrostis Karl Foerster and Panicum NorthWind.  They will produce a good height within a couple of years @drewettjames881zLbTXwz.
  • McRazzMcRazz Posts: 144
    Laser cut panel(s)
    Hedge (native mix or formal)
    Tall border
    Dry stone wall
    Brick wall
    Cornish hedge (google if you're unsure)
    Earthen bank
    Fence (decorative or utilitarian)
    A lovely tree 

The only limitation is your imagination!...(and wallet)

R.