Forum home Problem solving

Please help identify this plant / weed

Hello i have a patch of my garden which is basically just soil and compost. I want to plant something in it   in spring but today i found this growing in it . Does anyone know what it could be . None of the apps can identify it :'(  it also seems to have a lot of plant below the soil compared to what was above it which concerns me

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,875
    Bluebells?
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    They look like emerging Bluebells.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286
    That’s my thought too … bluebells. There’ll be bulbs deeper down. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• hi2u_ukhi2u_uk Posts: 9
    how on earth did bluebells get there. I dont really want bluebells . Do you think there  may be more :/
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,198
    If you don't want them you'll have to dig them out.  :)
    They spread below ground.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• hi2u_ukhi2u_uk Posts: 9
    going around looking for emerging bluebells wasnt really part of the masterplan
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,722
    Probably spanish bluebells. The annual "dig out as many as I can" season is almost here (although I didn't see any when I was outside today 🤞)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,198
    I'm afraid that's how gardening often is @hi2u_uk. Plants appear, or are already there from a previous owner planting them etc. Gardening is an ongoing challenge which is why it can be rewarding and frustrating in equal measure. 
    Plants don't know what you've planned for a garden either, so it's a case of removing them if you don't want them, and planting something you do want.  :)

I'd agree with @JennyJ that they're probably Spanish ones. Too hefty for the native ones.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,020
    I have exactly the same in my garden @hi2u_uk, Spanish bluebells.
    As you've discovered, the bulbs go down a very long way and trying to get them out is a real PITA. 

As we've had so much rain you might find it comparatively easy to dig down and remove as many as you can. Probably best to do it in sections, rather than trying to remove one at a time.