Forum home Garden design

Photos of slopes please?

Following Ian's post, can I please see some of your garden slopes? I've got a weird one in my front lawn, which I'd like to plant up as it's a pain to mow, but as my place is rented, I don't want to change it too much - I'd like to get an idea of what you lot have done. 

• Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 740
    That's a big slope! Thanks for posting Pansyface, and I love your heron! 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,902
    Have you got a photo?
    What some people call a slope isn't what I'd call one. I remember someone being concerned about a trampoline in the garden as there was a 'big slope'. When they posted a photo, it was flatter than any garden I've ever had - including this one!
    I don't have any pix of my previous garden round the corner from this one, but a couple of simple terraces from the back door did the job. We had a deck out from the house, then steps down - about 3 feet or so. The slope ran both ways, so we did revetment walls with timber and a decking finish so that it all blended. These are the only digital pix I have - taken soon after we planted it up, although I altered it several times - as you do  ;)

Last garden was all on a slope, and was already established, but the pond and surrounding planting was cut into that slope. I amended the pond edging so that we could walk right along it from the house to the other end. Mainly grass, as it was a large plot and next to a farm, and you couldn't easily have had anything else, especially with the amount of rabbits that ate everything you planted. Mostly tough shrubs

Small terraces are the best way, or a winding path, as @pansyface describes, but it depends on size and what else affects it too.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,478
    Like your idea of only planting tulips in your weeding path, @Plantminded. Really nice previous garden @Fairygirl.

We have an odd, very abrupt slope in the back garden lawn. Actually as we live on a hill, the whole garden slopes but this bit is funny. We had to give up trying to mow it as too slippery and dangerous, so I re-labelled it as my 'rough patch'. I planted stipa tenuissima, bulbs and creeping plants in amongst the old grass to try to stabilise it and below it, on a purple slate square (which we think was a base for a shed), we have our Lutyens bench, which draws the eye away from what is behind it. The patch in question is about 2 m x 1.5 m and drops about 1 metre. I meant to photo it this afternoon but rain stopped play.

Some tall grasses might look good planted at the bottom of your dip @Slow-worm.
  • Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 740
    Ooh now, beautiful slopey gardens there! They look great!

My slope isn't straight, I'll get a photo when it's in daylight. It's on a curve like a round-edged right angle, the slope is about 5/6ft of about 40⁰. The road runs down a hill, and we're almost at the bottom of the road. The completely mental way it's built means that our place sort of sits in a dip, so the garden slopes sharply down, and the water pipe and manhole cover are at the bottom, so I have to be aware of that too.