Forum home Plants

Cyclamen sun?

Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 815
I bought a lovely big cyclamen late last year just to brighten up a new small bed, it's survived the frost & snow(!), but in spring I'll have to move it as that area will get sun most of the day. If I move it to an ENE facing bed which gets sun until midday in summer, then shade, would that be too hot? 

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,099
    @Slow-worm I wondered if you know the full name of your cyclamen. You say it is big I did think the large plants were sold as house plants only?
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    Cyclamens need shade.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 815
    Not a clue Suze, I have no idea where the pot is, lol, but I'll have a look.. it was just a standard one from Tescos, but it seems to be tough as old boots, seeing as it was planted out in October and shrugged off being buried under snow for 3 days! It's not massive, but it's double the size of any I've bought previously. 
    Now I'm confused.. apart from differing opinions about their care, I've always bought cyclamens in flower in summer, around July, but apparently they don't flower until early autumn? 
  • MikeOxgreenMikeOxgreen PenninesPosts: 606
    There are two types of Cyclamen, Google it and their care, it's not difficult.
    Helpful Mike. 😕
    I've googled a lot, hence my post above about differing opinions.
    There are 23 types.

There are two basic types, indoor and outdoor. 5 seconds on Google:
     https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-care-for-cyclamen-1402644

Gardening isn't some kind of secret society, it's been done and documented for anyone to read and learn for hundreds of years.
    Why the sarcasm Mike?
    Should we all just google and not bother talking to each other?
    I've already been over that, so if you have nothing constructive to say, please don't. 
    It's not sarcasm, it's common sense. Learn the difference
    Some of us just sit there like chicks in a nest expecting to be fed because we're lazy or hopeless, how old are you, 3? Others just pick up our tools and work. I didn't get where I am from sitting down and asking some random stranger what 2 + 2 equals.
    I'd rather read something about what you've actually learned and achieved rather than dumb questions all the time.
    There is so much knowledge out there from various sources, sadly people just cba to use them.
    Wise up ffs.