Forum home Plants

What’s wrong with my hedge?

Sam JessonSam Jesson Posts: 121
Hey there, any idea what’s going on with this hedge and the dying foliage? And, if there’s anything that can be done? Planted it to cover up a bike shed so if it won’t grow back I’ll need to think about replacing it unfortunately 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,126
    Do you remember when it happened and how quickly?
    I'd guess it's either been too dry, or if it happened recently it's likely to be the bitterly cold weather we had in mid-December that has frozen and dried the leaves.

It looks like a viburnum tinus and they are very hardy, so it may just be the leaves that are dead and it'll green-up in the Spring.
    See how it goes.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,348
    I agree it looks like one of the Viburnums, affected by cold weather. It should come back no problem, as @Pete.8 says.
    I would also clear the base, and give the ground there a good mulch - once it's moist enough if you have drier conditions. They don't do quite so well in drier soil.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • bédébédé Posts: 3,011
    Keep cutting it back until you reach live wood.  If you don't find any, it's dead.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."