Forum home Plants

'Blue Pacific' juniper for ground cover on a sloped garden in Wales?

I have a slope in my garden that I am looking to cover with something other than grass (to avoid cutting challenges on a slope).
I am considering using 'Blue Pacific' creeping juniper for ground cover.  My garden is in the Welsh hills.  The slope is in full sun.   Does anybody have any experience of using this plant for this purpose?

TIA

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,854
    I have a J. Squamata that surrounds one side of my fish pond.
    It's an effective heron deterrent.

I originally planted about 5 I think (about 30 yrs ago), but they were quite vigorous and over the years I've removed 4 of them leaving one big one that I've encouraged around the edge of the pond-
    It's about 2ft at the highest point and about 16ft lengthways.
    I give it a prune anytime it's getting a bit wayward.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,954
    Junipers, in general, are ideal for that, so I can't see any problem planting it.
    They take a bit of time to establish and get going, in my experience, but then they come away quite quickly. I had one on a small slope in a previous garden.  :)  
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,051
    Yes I agree junipers will work well.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.