Forum home Problem solving

Rhododendron problem

I have a small Rhododendron in the garden which was there when we moved in 17 years ago, it is very slow growing and is now starting to look very leggy, can this be hard pruned to rejuvinate the plant

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    They can certainly be pruned @ColinA, but some will respond badly depending on how hard etc. The soil/climate can affect the outcome/response too, and that, plus other planting nearby can affect the speed of growth. 

Do you have a photo? That always helps.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ColinAColinA Posts: 353
    Thanks for the info,
    If it's evergreen, it may be one of the Japanese azaleas rather than a rhodo. They don't tend to get terribly big, so that might be why you think it's just slow growing.  :)

Ah ok that could explain why it has not grown much over 17 year. Is there any way of identifying it as an azalea,??
    The foliage is much smaller on the evergreen J. azaleas, and they tend to look quite different  altogether from most rhodos, which have much longer leaves, and are generally less compact.

If you post a photo, that will help, but if not - just check out an online supplier, or even google them and you'll see how different they look.  :)

Thank you for your advice
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,299
    If it has flowered, rhododendron flowers have 10 stamens, Azaleas 5. I have quite a few evergreen Rhodos, large leaf,and scented deciduous Azalea. A lot 20 years old,. all very slow growing. A picture would be helpful. 
  • Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 851
    Rhodies come in all different sizes. I have some less than a foot tall, and others that will grow large. You can tell by the size of the leaves how big it will grow. Large leaves, big shrub. Small leaves, small shrub.
    Sunny Dundee
    Good point @Balgay.Hill. I was generalising re the foliage, although I've also had some smaller rhodos.
    It doesn't help when we know that all azaleas are rhodos but not all rhodos are azaleas  :D

It's almost impossible to determine the 'problem' without a photo though. We can only guess. 

• bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,369
    edited 17 January
    ColinA said:
    Ah ok that could explain why it has not grown much over 17 year. Is there any way of identifying it as an azalea,??
    1.  Go to a garden centre and look at them.

2.  Speak to a neighbour/friend/relative.

3.  Mention it in the pub/local shop.

4.  Visit a library or a bookshop.

Not necessarily in that order.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."