Forum home Plants

What is this plant?

daveb337daveb337 Posts: 2
My partner received a bouquet recently with some purple/green leaved sprigs. Just noticed that a bud is forming from the centre of each leaf as pictured.
What is it?

• herbaceousherbaceous OxfordshirePosts: 2,310
    Hi @daveb337 how lovely to receive a beautiful bouquet.  I am rubbish at naming plants but my daughter is a florist and the leaves look like tradescantia which is used as a filler. Maybe Purple Heart? But the bud is just weird, maybe one of the more experienced posters will be able to help you.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,051
    Yes tradescantia easy from cuttings grown in water. The buds are the flowers. A great plant in a mixed planting in a pot for the garden after frosts have passed.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,138
    pics to show Ruscus with the flower .
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,014
    edited 13 January
    Agree with Silver Surfer. My daughter is a florist and uses that.
    Edit to  add that it's sprayed silver or gold at Christmas too.
    Good catch @Silver surfer and my daughter uses Ruscus as well @Uff

Told you I was rubbish at this @daveb337  :)
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,014
    You're doing fine @herbaceous. Most of us get things wrong sometimes but it's how we learn. I've made some right old bloopers in my time and will carry on doing so I guess. 
    Thank you @Uff that's very kind, I'll keep trying and maybe one day?
  • daveb337daveb337 Posts: 2
    edited 13 January
    Thank you all, Ruscus it is. A new one on me.
    And only dyed purple by the look of my fingers after handling!
  • It is a purple heart plant.