Forum home Plants

Agastache 'Golden Jubilee' seedlings question

Steph111Steph111 Manchester, UKPosts: 12
Hi all! First-time poster here :) I moved into my first home in September so I've graduated from balcony-gardening to actually having a garden, which I'm beyond excited about!

I've been growing a few things from seed and have a question about some Agastache seedlings. Do I need to do anything different now that they've germinated, like move them to somewhere colder? 

I read about moving sweetpeas to a colder place once they've germinated to encourage root rather than stem growth, so I was wondering if it's the same for agastache. The seedlings are only about a couple of cms tall. Grateful for any advice or tips! 

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,020
    edited 13 January
    Hello Steph, welcome to the forum  :)

I think you may have sown a bit too early. Agastache are usually sown in the Spring (March to May) in my personal experience.
    I had a quick look at a seed company's site and it does say January to March for this variety, but l think you might have been better off sowing at the later time. 

It might make your life a bit difficult trying to keep them going at this time of year, a lot will depend on the weather that you get, and also the space and equipment you have (coldframe, greenhouse etc).
    When it says "colder", it doesn't necessarily mean potting them up and putting them outside. 
    They need to become acclimatised to different conditions before finally being large enough to face the world outside. 
    Do you have a windowsill or light area in a utility room or somewhere similar ?

Sweet peas are tough things, Agastache are more tender.

• Steph111Steph111 Manchester, UKPosts: 12
    Thanks! I got the seeds from Wilko and the packet said to sow indoors from January to March - so they're currently on a windowsill above a radiator. I might just keep them there until they get a bit bigger. Fingers crossed! 

I moved the sweetpeas (cupani, erewhon and high scent) from the same windowsill to our unheated conservatory after pinching them out. Do you know if you can pinch them out again after the first time? They still seem a bit leggy. 
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,020
    I have pinched them out that more than once, usually when they're around 4 inches high (old school), and then when they bush out and reach the same height again or maybe a bit more, l pinch again.

This worked for me, but other forum members may do it differently  :)
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,875
    Best not to leave the agastache on the windowsill after dark as it gets very cold. Just keep them on the sill during daylight hours.

I sow agastache in early March and they're in flower by summer.

It is annoying when packets say - Sow from January... in theory you can - in practise unless you have additional heat AND (most important) a suitable growing light you will have problems with the plants getting too leggy.
    Whilst we may think the sun is bright sometimes in winter, plants do not, they barely notice the light as it's so weak, so they struggle to find good light and get leggy in the process.

I used to grow Hi Scent sweetpeace - you'll be impressed with their scent, it's beautiful.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    Don’t put too much faith in the sowing times on seed packets, they are nearly always over optimistic.
    Sowing too early is the commonest problem most people have.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
    Thanks for the tips! I'm completely new to sowing (apart from sunflower seeds) because I've never had the space before - so all advice is appreciated :)  
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,291
    edited 13 January
    I wouldn't worry I've sown Agastache in January before also grown Golden Jubilee, they are first year flowering you probably have a better show /longer flowering with the early sowing . Try not to over water , I feel the weight of the pot gives you a good indication on watering you'll get the hang of it after a while . I leave my pots in a tray of water until they look damp on the surface . 

Sounds like everything else is fine I'd leave them on the windowsill in the house ( agastache ), it can get chilly at night on the windowsill they be fine at the moment it quite warm outside for time of year , I do pop a little plastic lid on some though but rarely in the house unless the room has no heating or they've just come out of the propagator.   
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,977
    You could set up a (cheap basic) grow light, and use a timer to give them say 12 hours of good light. Probably only worth it if you are planning to grow other things indoors. I don't think being near the window will harm them unless the weather's extremely cold and the window is draughty. 
    Loxley said:
    You could set up a (cheap basic) grow light, and use a timer to give them say 12 hours of good light. Probably only worth it if you are planning to grow other things indoors. I don't think being near the window will harm them unless the weather's extremely cold and the window is draughty. 
    I already had a grow light tucked away for my indoor houseplants so I've been putting your advice into action, thanks! Four seeds germinated and they're small but seem to be doing okay so far. Fingers crossed!