Forum home Plants

Is this willow herb ?

*Astrantia**Astrantia* Posts: 263
edited 12 January in Plants
I’ve had a few of these appear in my garden I thought it was forget me not at first but I’m wondering if it’s pink willow herb? 

• pinkskyinthecitypinkskyinthecity Nottinghamshire, England Posts: 98
    I think so, I suffer with them too. Forget-me-nots have smaller and matte greyish/light green furry leaves. They won't be up yet until spring. 
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,011
    edited 12 January
    It isn't rb willowherb. See pics of shoots coming through and before flowering. They don't usually show themselves until spring. Still thinking what it is, on the tip of my tongue. Pics taken from the web.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,378
    It looks like a willowherb. There are different sorts. Not a forget-me-not.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,944
    When they're perennial they often look like that when coming through, although the ones I get tend to have a reddish tinge early on. 
    As @Busy-Lizzie says - there are lots of types. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Yes I agree with @Busy-Lizzie and @Fairygirl it's not Rosebay though. I've got a mental block on this one. I wouldn't mind but I've got some growing in the wildflower bit! It's driving me mad for goodness sake. 
    What size is it @*Astrantia* ? That can help with ideas if we have the scale.
    It looks a bit like ox eye daisy foliage too, but there are lots of plants that are similar.

I've got to go out now but hope it will be solved when I get back.  :D
    Don't think it's oxe eye daisy @Fairygirl, I've got masses of that over in the wildflower area. 
    Yeh - I think you're right @Uff, but there's so many similar plants, and it struck me as  a bit like those. It's certainly familiar. 
    I haven't looked at the ox eye daisies I have in the front garden for a while, so I can't really remember  ;)
    I'm off as well - it's dry....

• *Astrantia**Astrantia* Posts: 263
    Err not tiny about half my hand size and I’ve got fairly small hands 😉
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,294
    Looking at my wild plants this morning, I noticed that my Alkanet has little bumps/irregularities  on the leaves just like the pic.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."