Forum home Problem solving

What am I doing wrong?

Since retiring two years ago I've taken up growth veg.

Last year's winter veg. were a disaster and all had to be thrown out.  In Sept. 2022 i had ten turnip plugs and put these into two troughs.  They were initally kept outside but after getting some advice from here were moved to a heated greenhouse around November.  The greenhouse was ventilated during the day and heated at night.  I kept a daily watch on the temperature and it never got too cold.

The leaves have finally died off and the resulting 'crop' is show in the attached picture. 
Given the cost of heating the greenhouse these must be the most expensive turnips in the UK!  Can anyone suggest what i did wrong please?

Thanks

• bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,376
    10 out of 10.

If you can remember what you did differently for the 3 big ones, you are halfway to solving your own problem.

You do know that the names Turnip and Swede vary with the local dialect?  That could be significant.  Also that "moorland" can vary from balmy Exmoor to darkest Highlands.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • If you can remember what you did differently for the 3 big ones, you are halfway to solving your own problem.

Exactly the same treatment for all of them

Also that "moorland" can vary from balmy Exmoor to darkest Highlands.

On the edge of the Pennines, almost 750 feet up - the weather can be a problem for veg. at times
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,020
    I suspect (but am not sure),  that it could be down to a lack of water in the exceptionally hot weather. 
    I think most of the UK moorland areas suffered. 

Hopefully someone can confirm, but in the meantime this might be of some help. 
    https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/turnips-grow-guide/
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,875
    I 'think' there are 2 approaches to growing veg over winter.

Either sow earlier so that by the time the bad weather arrives they're almost ready to harvest. Then they will grow a little more during the cold months and you can harvest as and when.
    Or sow them later and plant out in autumn and they'll be ready sometime in Spring.
    Turnips are hardy down to about -6c

Nothing much will grow over winter (weeds excepted!) - there's not enough light.
    It's all very well providing heat, but that heat needs to be balanced with the right amount of light and in winter the sun is so weak plants barely notice it - no photosynthesis = no growth.

I have tried in the past and had the same results as you.
    All I grow over winter in my greenhouse (unheated) is parsley which seems to be OK.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,020
    D'uh. Sorry, should have read more carefully and noticed you were talking about veg over Winter. Apologies 😊
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,583
    I think it's a lack of water and, as you have concluded, don't see the point of heating a greenhouse to get turnips.   Sow and plant earlier and any left outside can then be protected by cloches if not harvested before the bad weather arrives.

Consider planting hardy brassicas such as kale and spring greens which might do better for you.

Save the greenhouse for more expensive crops.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

• Either sow earlier so that by the time the bad weather arrives they're almost ready to harvest.

That's what i tried to do as they were planted very early September - I remember reading that they would be ready in 30 - 60 days, so i was think that they would be ready by November.

Nothing much will grow over winter (weeds excepted!) - there's not enough light.
    It's all very well providing heat, but that heat needs to be balanced with the right amount of light and in winter the sun is so weak plants barely notice it - no photosynthesis = no growth.

It makes sense.  Unfortunately the greenhouse is surrounded by trees and is quite shady.

The greenhouse must be heated in winter as my wife's collection of succulents and the more tender bonsai must be kept from freezing or getting too cold.  I've some space in there so it makes sense for me to use it. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,583
    Then try growing herbs such as parsley, chives and tarragon in there as they are expensive to buy.  Turnips are cheap. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Then try growing herbs such as parsley, chives and tarragon in there as they are expensive to buy.  Turnips are cheap. 

Yes, I'll consider this.  I've moved the garlic into the greenhouse.  It's warmer and they'll get a bit more sunlight than where they were.  The leeks have been outside all winter and don't look too bad.

I've been growng veg. for about two years now and it's not as easy as it looks on YouTube :)

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,875
    edited 12 January

I've been growng veg. for about two years now and it's not as easy as it looks on YouTube :)

I found the same.
    I'd not bothered with veg until a few years ago and was so disappointed with the results when I did.
    Despite buying good veg cages with butterfly netting my veg were inedible.

The broccoli looked amazing but when I finally harvested some I found the underneath full of caterpillars and droppings - on every single head.
    Cabbage - somehow Cabbage Whites got to them too.
    Cauliflower - same
    The sprouts were looking good for Christmas but then got thick with blackfly and whitefly and most of them went mouldy.
    And that's growing it in the Summer!!

I've now made all the beds soft fruit beds and it works really well.
    Black currants - strawberries - summer raspbs. - autumn raspbs. - blueberries and blackberries. 4 pear cordons and 3 apple trees
    I froze ~20Kg of berries last year

I buy turnips :)

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.