Forum home The potting shed

SAD Light therapy

Having watched a program on TV about light therapy I wondered if anyone had tried one of these lights and if so, did it help them.
Or is it another one of the many money-wasting products the world seems to be producing at a rate of knots?

• steveTusteveTu UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)Posts: 2,507
    I bought a couple last year (I think it was last year). One for my son and one for me. I used mine quite regularly initially, but didn't notice any difference (although I'm not sure what I was expecting anyway). I hadn't used it this year so far - just switched it on!
    UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
  • The program indicated you need to use them for a month, on a daily basis for 20 mins.,, before any change is noticed, if at all.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,907
    I think @punkdoc uses one. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• steveTusteveTu UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)Posts: 2,507
    edited 12 January
    I did. I sit at a laptop with the light by the side. It's only small (it's a Beurer TL20 (not advertising...!) and is like a small tablet. It must have been on offer then as I don't recall paying anywhere near what is being shown now) and had it on in the morning when it was still dark outside.

Edited to add: My model must be the TL20UK version - mainly due to the price difference (and some functionality) between the TL20 and TL20UK
    UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,014
    Yes, I use one, it was suggested by my psychiatrist when I was really quite ill, and I have kept using it. I think there is quite a strong evidence base for their use.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 766
    edited 12 January
    I’ve used one for about 8 years for SAD. I usually start using it around the end September/early October for 10 minutes daily and by early November 20 minutes. I have it on whilst I have my breakfast. I probably stop completely early March, it depends how I feel so I may have a period of using it a few days at a time, then a gap until I completely finish. Sometimes I start earlier and finish later, I judge it by how I feel.

It definitely makes a difference for me. I don’t start using it until I feel my mood falling. It takes a few days initially but then helps keep my mood balanced through the darker months. Sometimes I miss a few days (maybe if I have had lots of winter sunshine/busy over Christmas etc) but then restart when I feel my mood dropping.

I believe there is good evidence of the benefits (we did do some research at the time and decided it was worth a try) but to be honest even if the effect is a placebo, it works (for me). My personal evidence is that for me, it has a better effect, than the (low level) anti-depressants I have used in the past.

Mine is a Philips goLite
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Thank you for your replys. I am considering buying one as this time of year has always been a struggle for me to have any incentive to get and go or do anything once up.
    I have always likened myself to being a bear. I just want to curl up in a comfortable warm cave and sleep the winter away.
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,728
    I think many gardeners feel that way at this time of year @Joyce Goldenlily.  I find that planning some new year planting/reorganising helps and having other hobbies that get you outdoors like walking are important, closely studying the weather forecast to time your opportunity!  Set yourself a time to do this every day, the routine stops you fretting about your garden and thinking what a mess it looks!  Now that the days are starting to get longer it all seems a lot more positive, especially when you can hear the birds getting ready for their Spring activity!
  • I agree Plant minder.
    Having my canine pal means I get out for a walk almost every day when we can both meet up with other dogs and dog walkers and have a chat. It certainly kept a group of us going through the Covid shutdown! 
    I have just organised a Soup and Mincepie lunch which everyone enjoyed, the chance to get out of the house and meet up for a chat with like-minded others.  A group of 15 of us are meeting on Friday for a New Year Lunch at a local hostelry, again, organised by me and we have a Pasty and Pud. lunch in the pipeline for Feb.
    Unfortunately, the weather has stopped any chance of us using our lawns, swimming lessons might be more appropriate! There is the occasional committee meeting, hospital apps., and shopping etc. I am going to the theatre on Monday evening, no idea who the main character is, a soul singer, according to my daughter.
    My grumble is I find it so exhausting just summoning up the energy to prepare for whichever activity I am planning to do. By the time I have got the dog ready, myself togged up in waterproofs etc, collected the necessary dry towels, blanket, water etc for the car, found my keys, locked up the house, loaded the car, and driven to the park, etc. I am almost ready to go back to bed!
    I hate the feeling of not wanting to get out of bed, I know I am not alone, my younger sister doesn't get up until mid-morning but I feel it is a bad habit to develop. I love gardening and cooking, crafting, art, and reading to name but a few of my interests. I also enjoy decorating around the house but have to accept my advancing years are making themselves felt, contributing to my lower levels of energy, which does not sit well with me. Very frustrating, the short dark days do not help.
    Is it my imagination or are the afternoons beginning to lengthen, ever so slightly? yeah!
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 2,551
    I think we all feel down at different times of the year.  I find that it is hard to get into doing things.  I am not a depressive person.  I live in a country where we have sun most days in winter.  (If it is overcast or rains more than 3 days, the people here have looks like thunder!!)  Even so, sunny winter days etc.  it is human nature to want to lounge around and read or watch bad to back series.   Is it age-related?  Character related?  Difficult to say.  I wouldn't worry too much.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.