Forum home Plants

Delosperma hardy ice plant looking dead

a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 1,033
My hardy ice plants have taken a real pasting with the weather and all look 99% dead with just maybe a little sprig of green higher up.  Not sure if I should remove all the dead material, and repot anything looking green? It’s not a great time for cuttings.  Would you do that or leave them and see if they come back? I have quite a few and they all look pants. 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,665
    I would leave them until spring and see what happens, then take some cuttings if they only have small parts that are green.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,954
    Even with really good drainage, and in the sunnier, drier south of Scotland, I think they'd need some protection from the rain. It's been much wetter than usual, so without the sharp drainage, and with a bit of cover, I'd doubt they'd be happy just now. 
    If they look pretty dead, they possibly are. 
    @wild edges grows a lot of succulents, so may be able to advise. A photo or two will help too  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 1,033
    They overwinter in a cold GH Fairy, but we had -16 here. Lost my echeveria too, but they are most definitely dead. Sempervivums look unaffected. 

It's wet cold that's the biggest problem for them, but that temp may also have been a bridge too far if the greenhouse didn't have heat or insulation. We had minus 10s and 11s, but lots of ice due to the wet. The little g'house I have is just as cold as the outdoor temp, because it's only a polycarbonate one, not glass. 
    It's why I don't bother with these sorts of plants, although I've been tempted now and again.  I like things that can cope with the climate   ;)

I grow some sempervivums, but they have to slum it outdoors and take their chances. Most are potted, and growing in almost all grit, so they normally manage.  I tip them on their side and they're usually fine, but they're looking pretty rubbish just now. If they don't make it, that's just how it is.  :)

I’ve had all these delosperma and echeveria for years, so it’s only the coldest winters that affect them.  Haven’t had temperatures like this since 2010. If they do croak I’ll have a lot of empty pots. 
    If you can manage a photo, that might help too. Some of the folk who grow these will be able to say if they're still viable at all.  :)
    Fingers crossed.  
    It would be a shame if you've lost them all. 

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,051
    I have often lost Ice Plants in a cold wet winter in the garden. I would leave any top growth until spring. I think it will then be a case of crossing your fingers. Sometimes part of the plant dies and part of it comes through with new shoots at the base.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,735
    Mine have survived recent snow and ice.  They can regenerate from tiny pieces, so I would just leave them for now. 

My Aeoniums and Echevaria were all lost, even though they were in our greenhouse.  I won’t be growing them again.  
    Ah OK thanks KoG. I’ll get echeveria again, they do survive a normal winter. 
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,294
    edited 12 January
    There is a common theme on several threads.  People have not been prepared for the length and the depth of the pre-Xmas freeze.  Myself included.

My Aeoniums in a cold greenhouse are all dead at the growing end, but green halfway down.  My Sempervivums, some outside in the greehouse gutter are fine.  My evergreen agapanthus have gone limp, but I'm sure they will recover.   One oleander in the garage, fine.  The other in the cold greenhouse also looks fine.  My scented rhodendon "cubitti" looks Ok, and the unopened flower buds.  Fleece-wrapped olive and mophead bay trees outside, no problems.

Fingers crossed for no repeat this winter.

After 1976, several of my favourite plants were proscribed.  I'm glad I didn't listen, I've had over 40 years of growing plants that give me pleasure.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."