Forum home Problem solving

Olive tree: Brown tips on leaves

I received a potted, indoor olive tree as a gift in August 2021 (see photo 1). I put it in the sunniest window, although I live in London, England and it isn't a sunny place. In the spring it started to grow (south facing window) and I was very happy. Until I realized the new growth was turning brown on the leaf tips a few weeks after starting to grow. Many of the brown tipped leaves would also fall. I tried watering differently (soaking once a week), but it didn't seem to help. I bought soil recommended for olive trees and repotted it, in a slightly larger pot that is terra cotta, rather than the original plastic. To no avail.Then I tried giving it an olive fertilizer this year (summer 2022), but the problem persists. Can anyone help? I've seen very conflicting advice online and I'm desperate to figure out the true problem and get her back on track! :)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,184
    Most gardeners in the UK grow their olive trees outside … they’re hardy in most conditions as long as they’re not allowed to get waterlogged … and they’re certainly much happier and healthier outside. 
    As yours has been inside for a while I wouldn’t put it out now in midwinter, but in the spring, as temperatures begin to rise, I’d start hardening it off by putting it outside during the day and bringing it in at night to acclimatise it, before keeping it outside for good. 
    Also, those ties on the stem look a bit tight … I’d loosen them. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 2,571
    Good morning and welcome.

Yes @Dovefromabove  The tree looks a bit "busy".  It is pruning time in FebruaryMarch, so you could snip some of the middle branches close to the trunk.  Needs some air and light.   

It's a dear little tree!!
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,334
    edited 10 January
    Don't worry. it's fine.  Perhaps just a lack off humidity at a crucial time.

You have to be a bit severe with your pruning.  Olives don't easily form a nice round mop-head like bay or box.  Decide what height you want him to grow and keep him there.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,041
    Hi @hanamibls - Yes, it needs to be outside, at least during summer, but it'll need acclimatising, as already said   :)
    They don't survive outdoors here over winter, completely wrong climate,  so a porch or similar is required. In London it should be fine.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,334
    edited 10 January
    Nollie said: introducing it back into it’s natural environment - outside. 

Agreed.  Outside ... in Spain.

But in spite of what everyone is saying, you plant seems to be doing very well since August.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,184
    edited 10 January
    bédé said:
    Nollie said: introducing it back into it’s natural environment - outside. 

Agreed.  Outside ... in Spain.

... and in Norfolk https://www.thenorfolkolivetreecompany.co.uk/
     :) 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 849
    Fairygirl said:
    Hi @hanamibls - Yes, it needs to be outside, at least during summer, but it'll need acclimatising, as already said   :)
    They don't survive outdoors here over winter, completely wrong climate,  so a porch or similar is required. In London it should be fine.  :)
    I think that shows how the higher rainfall you get in the West makes a big difference.
    I'm farther North than you, but far lower rainfall, and i've had an Olive tree growing for quite a few years, first in a pot, then planted against a WSW facing wall. It gets about 10 hours of sun in the summer.
    Sunny Dundee
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,041
    Absolutely @Balgay.Hill.My sister is on the east side, and they don't get anything like the rainfall the west gets, despite the quite small distance. She's about 40 miles from me.
    In the north west, the rain measurements are in metres rather than feet.  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....