Forum home Problem solving

What weed with a rhizome type root

I have a new to me garden and have a lot of plants or (I think probably) weeds coming up that I hope someone might be able to identify. The leaves are coming up curled up, similar to the way that new hosta shoots emerge from under the soil. If I dig them up they are attached to what I think are rhizomes or pieces of root. I have a feeling that they are weeds but I would like to know for sure. I feel stupid as I spent ages in the summer digging out hoards of green alkanet and I dug up lots of these rhizomes but put them back in the soil thinking that they were something desirable!
I apologise for no photo but I had intended to do some research myself to try to identify this. Unfortunately if I search for 'weed curled leaves' I just get a lot of links about growing cannabis :o  and it's too dark to take a photo outside now! 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,875
    Try Arum maculatum or Arum italicum
  • MikeOxgreenMikeOxgreen PenninesPosts: 606
    Pot some up in the house where it's warm and bright, you'll soon find out.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,873
    Another possibility is celandine-

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,271
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,577
    If it's a really thick root and you are somewhere southern it could be solomons seal.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,126
    edited 9 January
    I wondered if they are celandines, just starting to appear in my garden. The root in your photo would be small if it is a lesser celandine? If so they like a retentive soil and are really difficult to get rid of. There are also some choice double forms that some gardeners collect and do not seed in the same way. Christopher Lloyd introduced a dark leaved form called Brazen Hussey a great name as it is everywhere in my garden, I cannot get rid of it. I think they are tubers.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,451
    I'm thinking @nutcutlet is right - Arum.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • borgadrborgadr KentPosts: 544
    I'm with @nutcutlet - definitely sounds like Arum maculatum (though if the root looks like what Pete.8 posted then I'm wrong). In my garden, the leaves have just started unfurling now.

While they are quite invasive, they're not too intrusive as the foliage pretty much disappears by summer. They're quite pretty eventually when the berries form, but I try to deadhead any that I don't have time to dig up, otherwise they do spread everywhere. Berries and roots definitely in the brown bin and not on the compost heap - they seem pretty indestructible!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    I can't add anything to the suggestions, but if you can get a photo in daylight, that will help confirm it  :)

Don't worry - you aren't the first, and won't be the last, person who has nurtured something that you think is valuable. I know I have, and so have many others. I think my favourite was the person who had a lovely pot of common buttercups, thinking they were something special. She had the very good grace to enjoy the joke when she found out!   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,296
    Buttercups are special! :)