Forum home Tools and techniques

Which half moon lawn edger would you recommend?

I am interested replacing my old one and have noticed that the new models seem to have serrated edges, are these any better than the 'round' edge ones? Any particular brand you prefer? I have heard people mention 'Bulldog; occasionally on here. T i a

• PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,749
    I have a smooth edged version, unbranded, bought from my local garden centre.  It works fine, as would a smooth edged, flat digging spade.  I wouldn’t have thought that a serrated edge would give as smooth a surface cut as the smooth edged version, but could be useful if your grass is tougher than normal lawn grass.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,570
    Ours is a Wolf edger, smooth blade.  We've had it at least 20 years, probably 25, and it's fine for us.

We have recently bought a saw-toothed edge spade and trowel which are great for working in soil that's full of weeds when we're making new beds.   Great for working in soil when it's heavy and wet too.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,439
    My edger is smooth, stainless steel. I've been very pleased with it.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • MeomyeMeomye Posts: 797
    Thank you everyone for your replies, @Plantminded I too was wondering about the 'serrated' edge not cutting as smoothly!
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,749
    This one might suit you @Meomye, it looks like it has a flat edge but also indented serrations rather than open toothed serrations, if that makes sense!  I often buy RHS endorsed Burgon & Ball tools:

Burgon & Ball Half Moon Lawn Edger with Serrated Head, Stainless Steel | RHS Endorsed | Garden Tool : Amazon.co.uk: Garden
  • MeomyeMeomye Posts: 797
    @Plantminded, thank you for the link and your recommendation, that does look interesting.  :)