Forum home Problem solving

Black Mould In Compost Bin

Hi everyone, Happy New Year to you all.

I have a closed lid type black plastic compost bin as sold by my local council some years ago.
When going to put peelings in today, the first time adding anything for a few months at least, there seems to be a black mould covering the surface, that is what it looks like as closed it quickly again in case it is dangerous to my health.

Grass, peelings and runner bean plants were the last additives to the bin and in general it has just been grass now and again, peelings, kitchen roll cardboard etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,597
    I would either dig it in to the heap but if you're worried about mould spores cover it with cardboard that will dry it out and it should just compost down as normal.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,402
    If you haven't opened the bin for a few months it's not really surprising to find "mould". The dalek type bins are handy but can be a pain to aerate properly.
    Perhaps turn the bin out if you have a convenient space, give it a good mix about and perhaps add more brown matter before putting it back in the bin. 
    It may be worth looking at @MikeOxgreen 's thread on home composting to see if that would give you some ideas  :)
  • MikeOxgreenMikeOxgreen PenninesPosts: 597
    edited 9 January
    Decaying plant matter goes mouldy, who knew?  :p

You should try a bit harder to get it filled up quicker and with more 'brown' too. Then as said, come Spring lift it off and put all the contents back in upside down.

Composting thread here: https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1068227/the-make-your-own-compost-thread/p1
  • Willow99 said:
    Hi everyone, Happy New Year to you all.

I have a closed lid type black plastic compost bin as sold by my local council some years ago.
    When going to put peelings in today, the first time adding anything for a few months at least, there seems to be a black mould covering the surface, that is what it looks like as closed it quickly again in case it is dangerous to my health.

Grass, peelings and runner bean plants were the last additives to the bin and in general it has just been grass now and again, peelings, kitchen roll cardboard etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Just give it a quick turn ...it'll be fine. Wear a mask if the mould concerns you. (I do sometimes because it irritates my sinuses.)
  • Willow99Willow99 Posts: 28
    Thank you to all who have replied as they are all valid suggestion.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,954
    I agree - a good mix around and it'll be fine @Willow99  :)
    You seem to be adding plenty of the right things, and it isn't unusual for a compost bin to be a bit slow and manky at this time of year if you don't have lots of stuff to keep adding to it over late autumn/early winter. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,294
    edited 10 January
    Grass cuttings go black if you try to rot them too dry.

There are two approaches to composting: 1. mix;  2. don't mix.  I'm a No2  fan.   

If you are worried about inhalation, do any action on a windy day, wearing a face mask.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."