Forum home Plants

Hanging baskets - new ideas please!

Penny_ForthemPenny_Forthem North WalesPosts: 298
I've been a creature of habit; trailing nasturtiums, lobelia, geraniums (zonal pelargoniums) pretty much complete my repertoire. Oh and the occasional dianthus (pink)
We have 8 and watering isn't too much of a problem.

Any new ideas/suggestions to add to the seed list for spring ordering/sowing? We have an unheated greenhouse, but do have heated trays.
Colour combos much appreciated.

TIA

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,873
    calibrachoa - the nicest colours are from plug plants, but seed is available too.
    A big attraction is that they dead-head themselves.
    Petunia Wave varieties are also self cleaning.

Swan daisies - Brachyscome iberidifolia - work well too
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,933
    Dwarf Zinnia varieties are lovely, and very long flowering.  Easy from seed.   A vibrant orange variety with some blue lobelia?  I am a fan of complementary colors.  Or maybe red geraniums, white zinnia, and blue lobelia.. you could show your national colors.  (Or not.. and go for the red, white, and green of Wales instead).  Dead Nettle is lovely in a pot or hanging basket, if you are looking for something a bit less vibrant..mixed with something else with pinkish or purple flowers.  
    Utah, USA.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,607
    My favourite combination last year was the silver leaves of angels wings combined with black petunias. Very simple but effective. 
    I also grow herbs especially thyme and am thinking of using nasturtiums more this year.