Forum home Plants

Spring Bulbs - Too late to plant?

g.kingg.king Posts: 46
Hi

I have a selection of spring bulbs such as Crocus and Narcissus that are still in their packets. Is it too late to plant them for flowering this Spring? The packets advise planting Sept - Dec.

I'd be looking to put some in the ground and some in containers.

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,114
    I would get them in asap. They are in danger of rotting out of the ground. Cannot promise  flowers but it is the best you can do.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,262
    edited 8 January
    They won’t keep, so as long as they’re firm and not squishy I’d plant them asap. There’s nothing to lose, after all … unplanted they’ll just rot … planted they might survive and flower, if not this year maybe next. 😊 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,293
    You have nothing to lose by planting them. They may flower late or not at all,, but they won't keep and there is at least a chance they could store some food for next year.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    Try soaking the small ones like crocuses for an hour or two before planting as they will do better if rehydrated.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw