Forum home Problem solving

Sad looking shrub

Hi, I have 2 sad looking Christmas box plants in pots. They have been fed and watered throughout the summer but since the recent cold snap and snow, they seem to be very leggy with some stems brown and withered.  Can anyone advise how best to cheer them up? TIA

• PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,744
    I'd put their appearance down to the recent cold snap and wouldn't be too worried. Once the temperatures improve they should start to bud and leaf normally.  Christmas box tend to prefer a shady, sheltered site so if yours are in full sun or exposed, it might be worth repositioning them. Also, check that the pots are free draining and that the drainage holes are not blocked.  Welcome to the forum.
  • Many thanks! I was thinking it may be drainage, so that's definitely worth checking out. Thank you,  I'm looking forward to picking up tips from experts 😊
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,861
    I agree with @Plantminded suggestions.
    If the growth is rather leggy, you may be over-fertilizing them a little.
    Whilst they are hardy down to about -15c, thin leggy growth would be more susceptible to frosts.
    Just a little growmore or similar gp fertilizer in early spring and again in early summer should be enough fertilizer for them.
    If you can gently remove 1-2" of the compost in the pots and replace with fresh soil/compost each spring that will help too.
    They prefer either some shade or deep shade.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,058
    I don't find they do well in pots long term @paulsy818Gj2NdNaa, but if you have to keep them in containers, moisture but good drainage is key, as already said. 
    Also - make sure you replace some of the growing medium every so often, and use a soil based compost, not compost on it's own. That isn't hefty enough for shrubs, long term  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....