Forum home The potting shed

Hardy fuscia got frostbite

I’m looking for advice on my hardy fuscia. I was away for the very cold weather/snow ahead of xmas, and my hardy fuscia is looking very crispy. 

I’ve always left it to its own devices, and it’s always been fine. I can’t remember it looking like this in the past. 

Should I cut it right back to the ground and wait hopefully for new shoots to come through? Thanks 

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,047
    I'd leave it until the spring.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,681
    I would leave it alone until spring, then cut it back to wherever the new growth is appearing. That might be ground level, or somewhere above that. It's normal for them to lose all their leaves.
  • Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 849
    Mine go like that every year.  :)
    It depends on how hard a winter i get before i cut it back or not. If new green growth appears near the tips, i just leave it. If the new growth is near the base, i cut right back to that.
    Sunny Dundee
  • Thanks all. I will leave alone for now then, and wait to see what spring brings. 
  • Red mapleRed maple YorkshirePosts: 564
    I agree with all the above comments. Mine are looking very similar to yours right now, but leaving the branches acts as a bit of protection during the winter. I will cut mine back down to the new growth when the new growth looks nice and healthy.