Forum home Wildlife gardening

Is it a wasp nest in my loft?

OliyaOliya Chiltern HillsPosts: 134
Hi, we have a very shallow loft in our house so we very rarely go up there. The other day I went up and noticed this huge nest. I assume it’s a wasp nest? Any advice on what to do with it? Will it get even bigger next year if I just leave it?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!:)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286
    Isn’t it beautiful?! 😃 

Yes, it’s a wasps’ nest … all the new queens will have moved on and last year’s wasps will have died so it won’t be used again. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,198
    Gorgeous aren't they?
    I had a 'not quite so lovely' one in the box I made for overwintering bees, after they commandeered the hog house. The wasps moved in instead.  :)
    As @Dovefromabove says, it won't be re used. 

If you have young children/grandchildren or neighbouring children,  it can be worth removing to let them see.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286
    When you think about it, it was wasps who taught humans how to make paper … 🙏 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I know I've mentioned it on the forum before, but on a quiet day in summer, I love seeing and hearing them scrape and collect little bits of timber from the fence. 
    Simple pleasures  :)
    I had one of those huge wood wasps in a previous garden one year. Beautiful things. Never seen one since unfortunately.

• OliyaOliya Chiltern HillsPosts: 134
    edited 8 January
    @Dovefromabove
    @Fairygirl

Thank you for information. It does look rather beautiful, doesn’t it?
    I’m very relieved I don’t need to do anything about it as it is located in the part of the loft, which is pretty much inaccessible…
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,559
    Shame it’s not accessible to remove, they are wonderfully decorative things.

This one, discovered in autumn, was an active Asian hornet’s nest and I had thoughts of turning it into a lampshade. However, the beekeepers we called in had to spray pretty noxious poison before it was safe to remove and that plus cleaning out all those dead bodies rather put me off.

• OliyaOliya Chiltern HillsPosts: 134
    @Nollie
    It is very beautiful!
    I may ask the builders to remove our nest and give it to us when we re-insulate the loft, if the nest is still there and intact…
    That would be a nice thing to do @Oliya. It's a lovely example   :)

Not sure I'd want mine as an indoor feature either @Nollie. It was a bit manky with the hay etc from the box it was in  :D 
    Wee wasp still in there too. I had another one quite close by as well, but they were nesting in below a shrub and accessing it from the other side of the fence, where my car is.  

I had another one quite close by as well, but they were nesting in below a shrub and accessing it from the other side of the fence, where my car is.  

• bcpathomebcpathome Buckinghamshire Posts: 752
    Yes ,they are really clever creatures,but only use the nest once ………bit of a waste really .
  • I have had several in various lofts over the years but last year I had one in a nesting box, it filled the box and spread out from the entry hole. They are works of art.