Forum home Problem solving

Help

I have a magnolia tree and apple tree that are starting to do this

• bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,905
    Not sure but these leaves seem to be some months ago. All our trees have left their leaves some time ago.
    So your photos are maybe showing signs of leaves that are naturally doing what they do.
    Others may have other thoughts.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,126
    I am wondering do you have just a few damaged leaves. I agree looks to be historical damage.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    Are you in the UK @keelerjennifer69Vr1mZE_A?
    I agree with the others though - deciduous trees/shrubs here would be leafless by now. If it's been particularly mild where you are, it could just be a few that were hanging on   :)  
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,044
    They look like the leaves of M grandiflora which are evergreen. Sometimes the odd one or two on mine would turn like that but I put it down to weather damage, mainly wind. I just removed them or they would fall off. Mine was in a huge barrel so consistent watering might have been an issue too. 
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,369
    edited 8 January
    Both leaves look like evergreen Magnolia grandiflora.  Be philosophical; things happen.  If there are a lot more leaves affected then I might start to be concerned.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,472
    Its possible that it is a leaf mining moth larvae. It happens. We get moths in return. Moths feed the bats.  Its all part of the cycle of life.   Leaves  of Magnolia grandiflora drop randomly at any time of year. Don't worry.
  • The entire tree is like this and my apple tree is starting to do it now I been told by a neighbor it was some kind of fungus 
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,296
    Your apple tree has leaves now?
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,472
    Where in the world are you?