Forum home The potting shed

Old compost

I’ve been sorting through my greenhouse as we are completely redesigning our garden and I have come across some unopened compost and grow bags, they must be about 6-7 years old. Would they still be useable or should I bin them ? I was thinking of using them in my raised bed 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,463
    If they have been kept dry, they will be fine.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,680
    edited 7 January
    Even if they've been wet, the worst possibility is that the nutrients might have leached out. They'll still be good to fill or top-dress a raised bed.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,895
    Don't throw them out. Every bit of compost is worth hanging onto and putting in and digging into you garden.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,041
    Absolutely agree  :)
    The nutrients will be largely spent, but it all adds to the soil condition.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks a million for your advice, I’ve put them to one side for now 😊
  • Where has my compost heap gone?
    At the end of the summer, my heap was about 4ft high, it has almost disappeared now. Only about 12 ins high and I am guessing totally lacking in any nutrients, still, I always put it onto my gritty soil to help bulk the garden up a bit.

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,680
    I'd expect 4ft high of fresh material to drop down a lot over 6 months. If it's an open heap (not in a covered bin) and you've had heavy rain, some of it could have washed away. Home compost isn't supposed to be particularly high in nutrients, it's more about the organic matter and micro organisms so what's left should still be good for your soil.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,041
    I agree with @JennyJ. It's what compost heaps do  :)
    It's a soil conditioner rather than a feed anyway, and useful for potting up/on young plants or seed sowing/cuttings etc, for that reason. Too rich a medium is really counter productive for seedlings etc, especially late in the year.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....