Forum home Garden design

Help with boarders

BluesBlues New ForestPosts: 44
My daughters garden has two boarders that require planting with sturdy shrubs / trees that will stand up to the odd football being miskicked.  Bed No 1 is aprox 10mt x 1mt has full sun and requires something that will grow or be pruned to 2.5 / 3mt high.
Bed No 2 is aprox 3mt x 2mt has half sun and already has a 3mt high Weeping Cherry in the centre so it needs something up to 1mt high to fill in either side.  She's hoping to find evergreens with some colour, any ideas greatly appreciated   

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,093
    This might be a starting point for you type in 'How to plan a garden bed that survives kids playing football' at the top. I hope this helps.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,058
    Tough shrubs are the best solution, but it also depends on the climate,  generally, as to what will thrive, and what the soil is like. A shrubby hedge might be better for the sunny side for now, rather than planting a border. 
    She'll have to accept that there will be damage though  :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,861
    The problem you'll have is while the sturdy shrubs are young plants, they won't survive a football being dropped onto them.

That said, some ideas for tough shrubs - 
    Some of the larger cotoneasters (e.g lacteus) semi-evergreen
    Amelanchier - not e/g
    Elaeagnus - many are evergreen
    Euonymus - many are evergreen
    Lilac  not e/g
    Philadelphus - not e/g
    Ilex (holly)
    Privet

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • MikeOxgreenMikeOxgreen PenninesPosts: 606
    Kick them out unless they're paying rent.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,058
    Yes - lots of those shrubs @Pete.8 mentions are ideal, but a physical barrier may also be needed initially. It depends on how big the space is too.  :)
    Re the other bed with the cherry, that may be more difficult. Any shrubs planted will take up more of the available moisture, so that might be detrimental to the tree, depending on it's maturity and the climate/soil. Perhaps a simple physical barrier there, and just some annual climbers could be the answer. Any extra info you can offer will be useful though  :)

Some photos would be useful too if you can get them @Blues .   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....