Forum home Plants

What to store Dhalia Tubers in?

Hi, I grew Dahlias first time in 2022 and they were great! Just lifted them (they are quadruple the size now), washed most of the soil off and removed any soft/rotting pieces.  I don't want to use compost but I have read that paper/newspaper can dry them out too much? One site suggested vermiculite (too expensive!) or sawdust which I don't have.  Would newspaper work OK and if not any other easily accessible/cheap alternatives?  Do I have to remove ALL the soil? And finally would they be better in a dark garage or my Solar Potting shed which tends to feel a bit damp in this weather?  Much appreciated!

• WhereAreMySecateursWhereAreMySecateurs LutonPosts: 1,004
    I have mine in a plastic carrier bag. Probably the wrong thing to do, but that is how they are sold in garden centres, and it seems to work
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,954
    Frost free, dryish conditions until they start growing again. Newspaper, shavings, drier compost - any or all of the above. Take as much of the damp soil off as you can, but if they're in dry enough compost, and you can keep them somewhere that doesn't get damp, they should be fine.
    Keep them somewhere you can keep an eye on them.
    Anywhere damp long term and they'll rot, so your garage would be better.  :)
    That's the biggest problem I have. The shed isn't damp proof enough, so they should really be in the house. No garage now. Most of mine probably won't make it. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,287
    I use old dry compost which has had tomatoes growing in , I packed mine up the other day. All that can be used what you've mentioned as well as sharp sand - shredded paper and I've used woodchip in the past. I put them in the Garage if the shed is damp , they can get moldy in damp conditions if exposed to the elements, mine do inside the Greenhouse if left out on the staging. All mine are in the GH in crates - pots . Drying out isn't really a problem with larger tubers only little dinky ones dry out .
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,384
    Make sure there aren't any mice. Mice ate mine.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • msqingxiaomsqingxiao North LondonPosts: 408
    Last year I used shredded paper on some of my tubers and a few shrivelled, but I managed to resurrect most of them by soaking in water before planting in spring. 

This year I'm going to just wrap them in newspaper to see how they do... Too many of them now...
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,759
    I can confirm that a damp shed doesn't work :'(
  • GearóidGearóid EnglandPosts: 198
    I've always loosely wrapped mine in newspaper and it's worked each year. I keep them stored in a wooden crate under the stairs to keep them cool. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,954
    I know @Biglad. I also discovered a leak at the front of the shed a while ago, although the roof is fine. I only discovered it because it was a wall of ice during the colder spell in Nov/Dec. I haven't bothered checking them again, apart from the one closest to hand. It's knackered.  :/
    Inside the house is really the best solution for me @Gearóid, but I don't have a lot of spare room in this place unfortunately. I thought I'd chance the shed, but I doubt it's of any use. Ever the optimist me  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks so much for all your replies! I've wrapped them in lots of newspaper, put in a very thick cardboard box and they are out in the garage.  I read somewhere they are best kept at around 5 degrees so maybe the house is too warm???  Does anyone know how to stop  a shed becoming damp at all??
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,288
    You will need  to check  on  them from time to time. Once the new shoots start to sprout they will need light to stop them getting leggy and weak.