Forum home Plants

Anyone else seeing signs of early Spring?

My large pot of salvia which I moved into the greenhouse to protect from the snow we had has now got loads of new growth on it! And my Muscari in pots in the garden are already coming into flower  :open_mouth: 

No wonder my biennials in the greenhouse just keep growing and show no signs of dormancy!!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    Whereabouts (roughly) are you @gilla.walmsley ?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• gilla.walmsleygilla.walmsley Posts: 281
    edited 7 January
    In Essex @Dovefromabove - barely getting past 10 or 11 degrees here since the cold snap a few weeks back. My garden is south facing with no shade too... not bad at this time of year but less fun in 40 degree heat  :)

Can't believe how early I'm seeing everything happen - not sure what it means if/when we get another cold snap!

Muscari starting to come out...

Salvia with all its new growth (it was dead/dormant looking 4 weeks ago!)

You're a fair bit south of us ... we soak up the worst of the north-easterlies before they get to you @gilla.walmsley    ;)  ... and your garden looks nice and sheltered ... my snowdrops haven't appeared yet.  I think muscari can probably cope with any further cold snaps ... not sure about the salvia tho'.  I think I'd pop some fleece around it if the temperatures drop again.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks @Dovefromabove! What I need is a summer house in Scotland to escape the summers we now get down here :) Oh how times have changed!
    But they have the midges!   :#

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932
    No sign of spring here - we've not had winter yet.
    Carry on though @gilla.walmsley if you want to come here. I'd move further north if I could, because it's getting too warm in summer for me, and I've lived here all my life.  :D
    Remember that west is wetter than east though, so the infamous midge is more prevalent on this side.
    It's only the females that bite though -  bit like living in Darnley [you'd need to live here to understand that  ;) ]

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,040
    I lifted and split alot of perennials in the autumn. They will continue to grow in the winter months but slowly. Just checked them they are all doing well and have grown despite the cold spell.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,012
    Signs of spring but not particularly early
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,271
    edited 7 January
    Fairygirl said:
    No sign of spring here - we've not had winter yet.

We had a very hard winter in November.  Now we're in limbo.  One of those years when it is better not to predict spring, but just wait and see what we get..

One snowdrop.  But that doesn't make a spring!
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932
    I didn't regard that spell in November/December as winter. That was just a bit colder, and for a bit longer, than we often get here at that time of year. Minus 6 or 7 isn't unusual here at that time of year   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....