Forum home Plants

Ground cover

I am planting 6 Bare root roses, and some bulbs on  bare ground and need some ground cover plants, to eventually cover area, suggestions?? Also Like to do it ASAP it's for an elderly gentleman, who bless him want it done YESTERDAY.

• Hardy geraniums are a good bet, choice of colours and easy care. The roses will need a clear area round them though, so that they can be mulched and fed and not have too much competition to impair their growth.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,852
    Another suggestion is nepeta.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,422
    If you mulch the bed after you plant it up, either of those suggestions will spread out over it to give a ground cover effect. They can be cut back to mulch again each winter/spring before they get going again.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze Posts: 5,617
    edited January 2023
    @green_grass I think the two suggestions given are the best. If you decide on hardy geraniums they have different heights and needs so worth checking out the best one to suit.
     Retired Gardener, new build garden, clay soil, South Notts.

The more I garden the less I know but the more pleasure I get from it. Monty Don 
  • Ajuga would be my favourite ground cover plant. It comes in different leaf colour varieties and I have found some purple leaved ones have worked well here.

Happy gardening!
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Posts: 3,447
    Erigeron karvinskianus will flower from early spring until December, giving excellent ground cover in sun or light shade.  It looks good with roses and the other ground cover plants mentioned.
    Wirral. Sandy, free draining soil.