Forum home Plants

Ground cover

I am planting 6 Bare root roses, and some bulbs on  bare ground and need some ground cover plants, to eventually cover area, suggestions?? Also Like to do it ASAP it's for an elderly gentleman, who bless him want it done YESTERDAY.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,297
    Hardy geraniums are a good bet, choice of colours and easy care. The roses will need a clear area round them though, so that they can be mulched and fed and not have too much competition to impair their growth.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,282
    Another suggestion is nepeta.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,714
    If you mulch the bed after you plant it up, either of those suggestions will spread out over it to give a ground cover effect. They can be cut back to mulch again each winter/spring before they get going again.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,129
    edited 7 January
    @green_grass I think the two suggestions given are the best. If you decide on hardy geraniums they have different heights and needs so worth checking out the best one to suit.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • robairdmacraignilrobairdmacraignil CorkPosts: 670
    Ajuga would be my favourite ground cover plant. It comes in different leaf colour varieties and I have found some purple leaved ones have worked well here.

Happy gardening!
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,754
    Erigeron karvinskianus will flower from early spring until December, giving excellent ground cover in sun or light shade.  It looks good with roses and the other ground cover plants mentioned.