Forum home Plants

Help please :(

Hi, I am not a gardener. Im afraid i dont even know the name of the plant in the attached photos. I have a few outdoor plants and I was really happy last year as this one seemed to prosper. I knew there was frost coming and so I put the plant into a greenhouse since the end of Nov, on the advice of a friend. I checked it not long ago, and it looked to be doing fine. Today I have checked on the plant again and there seems to be some kind of rot or disease on the plant. I was hoping an experienced gardener would be so kind as to give me some advice as to what the issue is and if this is salvagable or not please?

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 2,594
    Hello @leilatequila8CKxWkaS and welcome.

Bouille Bordelaise is a good anti fungal spray - maybe start with that.  You should find a packet in your local garden centre, maybe even at the garden section in your supermarket.

Good luck.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,873
    I'm afraid that copper-based fungicides (as suggested above by @tui34)
    are banned in the UK.

Your plant may recover without intervention when the weather improves but will lose the damaged leaves.

The closest you'll get to Bouillie Bordelaise  is to make you own Bordeaux Mixture - recipes on the web and ingredients available at Amazon.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 2,594
    Ah!  I didn't know that @Pete.8  That's a shame as it is a universal spray that cures just about anything!!  Give a blast of BB!!  Good that you can make your own.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,436
    A bit difficult to tell from the pics whether the actual growing centre is alive.  If it is then your plant has every chance of recovering if kept out of the rain and cold.
    Judging by the spiny tips, it looks like a Yucca of some kind and they prefer a sunny location  and well drained soil..
    You could try removing from the pot and checking the rootball to see if any signs of rotting off.
  • edited 7 January
    Pete.8tui34philippasmith2  the stem seems to be ok, it seems to be the younger parts of the plant that are affected. Shall I leave it outside for a while to see what happens in a  sunny shaded spot?
    Thank you so much for the advice, so this is a fungal issue? Do I need to keep i away from other plants? I have now brought it outside and will research Bouille Bordelaise mixture - its good to know this might be salavagable. Take it that I apply this outside on a sunny day? I dont think I should put this plant back in the greenhouse as I have other plants in there.

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,126
    edited 7 January
    @leilatequila8CKxWkaS I would put it outside as you suggest. Don't know if you live in the north or south but it is vunerable to frost. I think it is some kind of yucca too. You say you are new to gardening can I kindly suggest you don't spray it for ecological reasons.
    You will loose the leaves but it should grow more unless we have another very cold spell when it will again be vulnerable. It has enjoyed the warm dry summer as it is a plant from the southern hemisphere. So there is always a risk here in a cold spell.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,369
    edited 7 January
    I used to have a Yucca gloriosa imported from Mallorca. It used to live in a pot and get only slight frost and damp damage from overwintering outside in Surrey. Moving it to a greenhouse for the winter was a far too dangerous a past-time.

It looks like this November's exceptionally hard period may have got to yours. It might take more than one season to recover.

As a footnote, I would add that It used to expand its roots and break clay plant pots. Eventually I used a wooden pot. It flowered twice in 40 years and reached unbranching to 3m. I has now gone to that happy rest-home - the compost heap.

I think yours might have a slight variegation.  Apart from that, it may not be worth the effort.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • thevictorianthevictorian Posts: 727
    I think this is winter damage from the cold weather and it's the less hardened new growth that has suffered. These are hardy down to about -5c and can suffer frost damage at temperatures nearer to 0c. The leaves on the growth tip will be shed eventually and I agree it will probably look scruff er for a couple of years but as long as the main stem doesn't go mushy, it should recover provided it doesn't get frosted again.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,873
    I agree with the wait and see what happens suggestions.

The damage was likely caused by frost, then some fungi took up residence in the damaged parts of the leaves.
    It's unlikely to be fatal - just not as attractive as it was.
    For the time being I'd keep it outside somewhere sheltered from cold winds and the worst of the rain. At this time of year it doesn't matter if it's a sunny spot or not as it's not growing, but generally it'll prefer a sunny outlook
    I don't think spraying would make any difference.
    Your plant hasn't got a fungal infection as such, it's just frost damage.
    As long as the middle part of the centre of the plant is solid I think it'll be ok.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thank you so much for everyone who took to the time to respond. I am in Manchester and it was minus 11 here. The greenhouse was only a last minute cheap purchase when I panicked about the weather, so it obviously hasnt made much difference protecting it from the harsh cold. I will take your suggestions and will wait to see. Its such a knock as it was looking so beautiful in summer. But i guess that is the way of gardening! Must not get attached! :) I am planning to renovate the garden in spring so you may see me again! :-) Best wishes