Forum home Problem solving

Acer palmatum

susiebowersusiebower Teignmouth, DevonPosts: 98
Hi - a year ago I planted a young acer palmatum sango kaku with bright red bark - it looked wonderful last summer, but when the drought came I'm not sure I gave it enough water. The leaves seemed to fall off earlier than before, and now I notice that the bark has turned mostly grey. Anything I can do? Thanks!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,954
    Have you got a photo?
    Drought is very difficult for them, even the tougher palmatums. They need moisture but good drainage. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• susiebowersusiebower Teignmouth, DevonPosts: 98
    Thanks, @Fairygirl - here it is. 

Image preview
    I'm afraid it's not showing @susiebower :)

That's weird - I can see it here! I copied and pasted the image. Image preview
    It may be the method you're using, or the size of the photos. They don't load properly if they're too big. It's an ongoing , and extremely annoying problem on this forum. 

Oh, boo. Well, I'll leave it for now, and thanks! 
    When you say the bark is grey, do you mean the branches/stems are grey at the ends, or do you mean it's all over the branches? 

If you can re size your pix to around 1MB or below, that should be easier   :)

I'm a technophobe, so this stuff defeats me! The branches have large grey areas, not just at the ends. And I can't see any new buds - but it may be too early?
    I'd say far too early for any new buds.
    It may be down to the problems you describe from last year. If it was already struggling due to lack of water, it may not have enough established roots to help it thrive. Large grey areas are worrying. 
    It's not a variety I've ever grown though, so it may be that it changes through winter, although grey doesn't sound right. I thought they changed to a yellowy or orangey colour in winter. 

Here's an old thread though. Have a look for any comparison with what you have
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1008353/acer-sango-kaku-coral-bark-maple

@Fairygirl Thanks so much - you are always so quick to reply! :) Will take a look.