Forum home Plants

Rose cuttings

HenryPHenryP Cornwall Posts: 42
Hi all,

Happy New Year!

I had a quick one regarding rose cuttings; is it possible to take them at this time of year? I bought a bare root rose just under a year ago. It's grown well, but I'm not sure whether or not I'd be able to take cuttings from it. (Picture attached, apologies for the quality)

Any advice would be very appreciated! 

On another note, does anyone know of any groups, either on here or online, for local plant or cutting exchanges/swaps? 

Thanks as always! 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,461
    Ye, I think you can take a couple of foot long cuttings off of that. You have to prune it soon anyway, so no reason why you can't use the cut off material as cuttings.  Either push them in where you want them to be, or line them out in the veg plot, or even push them in to a bucket of saandy soil. I have used all three methods successfully.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,528
    Yes you can, but at this time of year it would be classed as a hardwood cutting, which I understand are harder to root. Ideally you would do it in summer, taking a plump green length of cane from that year’s growth. However, since now is a good time to prune your rose no harm in trying with an off cut. There is a useful guide here:

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-take-rose-cuttings/

Which rose do you have there?
  • HenryPHenryP Cornwall Posts: 42
    @Nollie @fidgetbones thank you both for your advice, I suppose I'll give it a go! Unfortunately I can't remember the variety, I don't think it was anything particularly special, although I was amazed by how well it grew in its' first year!
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,294
    Nollie said:
    Yes you can, but at this time of year it would be classed as a hardwood cutting, which I understand are harder to root.
    By "harder to root" they mean: "a lower percentage of success".  But nothing could be easier than just shoving a cutting in the ground and leaving.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."